How to Get Rid of That New Roomie Awkwardness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

I think we’ve all been in the same situation at some point, especially in college: You meet your new roommate for the first time, and you could cut the tension in the air with a knife. You think it’s probably because both of you are nervous, but what if it’s because they don’t like you? Do they already wish they had signed the lease with someone else? How can I go through the rest of our lease agreement with this weird energy we’ve unintentionally manifested in our living room?

Being a transfer student and not knowing a soul at UF while also living with complete strangers was definitely nerve-wracking, to say the least. But now that I’ve broken down the awkward barriers among myself and my three other roomies, it’s totally shifted the vibe of our apartment and made us all feel way more relaxed (which is how you should feel at home). Here’s how I did it:

Movie night!

Find out what movies you and your roomie(s) enjoy and plan for a night in. For me, my roommates and I bonded over our love for “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.” Go shopping the day before and get everyone’s favorite snacks, popcorn and maybe some wine if you’re 21 to really set the vibe. The best part of this plan is you can enjoy each other’s company while not having to come up with any awkward small talk along the way.

DIY your dinner

Make a plan for what you all would like for dinner and get together to make it. Play some music, split up the tasks and add in some appetizers. Charcuterie boards are super trendy right now, and the social nature of everyone getting to pick it apart at once will make for some fun and yummy memories.

I remember the first group dinner my roommates and I had at the beginning of the semester. We air-fried spicy chickpeas as an appetizer, Asian chopped salad for our intro course and pasta with sausage as our main dish. For dessert, one of my roommates made these INSANE Oreo balls covered in cream cheese frosting and topped off with more crumbled Oreos and coconut oil. She taught me how to make them later, and I’ve been making them nonstop since. This would also be the perfect time to divide up the chore list and discuss any roomie business you might’ve been putting off.

Spa night

This is perfect for once you get past the initial awkwardness and need a break from the stress of school. Get together for a relaxing night with some DIY face masks and Mani-pedis. It’s a perfect way to bond, share how your day has been and give you a chance to learn more about each other. 

Going to pick up all the supplies together is also a fun way to get each other hyped up for the night you have ahead. When my roommates and I had our own little spa night, we took a drive together to our nearest Target to gather all our materials. One of my roomies even had her own mini footbath. We also all split the cost evenly amongst the four of us. I found that when you’re relaxing with your roommates, it’s also the best time to be vulnerable with them and a great time to discuss anything you have on your mind. 

The memories you make in college are guaranteed to last a lifetime, and your roommates are a big part of that. When you dedicate some time to getting to know them better, you might even find you’ve been living with your best friend all along. 

I'm a journalism major with a minor in public leadership. In my free time, I like reading, thrifting and watching indie films. My hobbies include eating goldfish and taking long naps.