This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Everyone knows that the holiday season can be one of the hardest times of the year, especially for college students because of the looming end of the semester and all the upcoming exams. Because you are so busy with responsibilities, it’s extra important to care for yourself in the holiday season, even though your health may be the last thing on your mind. Taking care of your body during this high-stress time by making sure you still have a proper diet and exercise regularly can positively impact how you perform in your school work or just how you interact with friends and family. There are some simple diet and exercise tricks that you can incorporate into your everyday activities.

Eating healthy during the holidays

Be aware of the food you eat

Paying to attention to what you put in your body can have a significant effect on your diet. Especially during this time, you may be feeling extra stressed because you have to study for finals and finish up the semester. This may make you oblivious to simple things like what you eat, so make sure that you are getting the right nutrients.

Balance your diet

It is essential to balance your diet so you can make sure to eat all the proper foods you need to help fuel your body. Also, having a balanced diet of fruits, vegetables, protein, etc. will help your body to deal better with the stress that you may be having in the holiday season.

Meal prep

Meal prepping is a great way to avoid eating unhealthily while maintaining a healthy diet. When meal prepping before the start of each week, you no longer have to worry about what you are going to eat during the day when your schedule gets ahead of you. This will help you keep your healthy diet goals going through the week without you having to worry.

Eat small meals throughout the day

You should make sure to eat throughout the day because if you hold off until dinner, you’ll likely end up overeating and messing up your diet. Also, it is important to eat throughout the day, especially in the morning, so your body has enough energy to keep you focused.

Avoid fast food

Most college campuses have several fast food places right on campus, especially the University of Florida. You may be tempted to stop for a quick, easy burger and fry, but fast food can lead to a decrease in your energy that you definitely need. There are plenty of healthier spots on campus to try like Croutons or just a quick sandwich from the POD.

Eat healthy before and after each holiday

Everyone wants to be able to eat whatever they want on Thanksgiving, Christmas, or other holiday meals. You can reward yourself for your hard work but be sure to eat a healthy before and after each holiday. This will allow for a no-guilt cheat day, then you can go right back to your diet without it having a huge effect on your fitness goals while also being able to enjoy the amazing food that comes with the holidays.

Simple tricks to make sure you still exercise during the holidays

Exercise in the morning/before bed

You may not have a lot of time during the day to exercise, so try to incorporate it into your morning or bedtime routine. All you have to do is exercise for at least ten minutes before you get ready in the morning or before you go to bed. This can help wake you up in the morning on the right foot or help you relax before bed.

Schedule time to workout

Some people need to schedule everything because their days are so busy. If you’re one of these people, plan out time to work out in your schedule. Exercise is important for your health and you will definitely notice a difference if you’re able to get a workout out in every day.

Take some time to destress

The holiday season can be a time filled with stress, but it doesn’t have to be. Working out is known to help decrease stress levels and provide a way for your mind and body to relax. If you’re busy all day long, take some time for to destress by doing things like yoga or Pilates.

When you find yourself overwhelmed and exhausted, remember to step back and look at how you’re taking care of yourself. Are you eating right and exercising? If the answer is no, hopefully these easy tips will help get you out of your funk.

Ashlyn is a student at the University of Florida studying journalism.