How to Spend Valentine’s Day with Your Long-Term Significant Other

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

It’s February, and with that comes a whole month of L-O-V-E. If you’ve recently started dating someone, or if this is your first Valentine’s Day with your significant other, then you’ve probably got a couple of ideas for how you want to celebrate the special day. But, if you’ve been with someone for more than two years then let’s face it. It gets harder to think of how to surprise your loved one. We have your back with these awesome ideas on how to spend a very special Valentine’s Day.

1. Get out of town

If you’ve spent the last two years celebrating in Gainesville at a nice restaurant like The Top or Dragonfly, then you desperately need a change in scenery. Invest in your happiness (and your loved one) by picking a place outside of town that you’ve never been to. Always wanted to go to New Orleans? Sure, it can be a bit of a drive. But instead of thinking about how much gas money you’ll spend, think about all the roadtrip fun you’ll get to have. Make it a weekend trip and create memories you’ll always be happy to look back on.

2. Do something unconventional

Ocala may not seem like an ideal place to spend the Day of Love, but it’s unique in that it has the closest drive-in movie theater around Gainesville. Open seven nights a week, the theater is cheaper than most movie theaters and makes most of its profit through their concession stand. Another plus: They not only show classic movies, but they also show recent releases that you might find in regular movie theatres. Picture it: a cozy night on the bed of your boyfriend’s pick-up, under the stars and watching a great movie on a 90-foot big screen. Try the Ocala Drive-In at 4850 South Pine Avenue.

3. Visit a zoo

It’s probably been years since you’ve been to a zoo, but it’s amazing to see what happens when you put your significant other in a zoo setting. Zoos are not only cheap, but they’re also awesome ways to spend the day and enjoy being a kid again with the person you love most. If you’re experiencing a stressful time in your relationship, choose a setting that’ll make both of you feel younger. The Santa Fe College Teaching Zoo is a perfect place to go for just $4 per adult with a student ID.

4. Go on a group date

If you have friends who are also in a relationship, then invite them to a group date and have fun together doing things like karaoke or laser tag. It’s nice to have a good laugh in a group setting even more if you’re both with friends whose company you both enjoy. Don’t pick a movie as a group event. Instead, come up with something that’ll engage everyone. Gainesville has some great group outing activities like Lake Wauburg, Stage 7 Karaoke & Lounge and laser tag at Splitz.

For this Valentine’s Day, think outside of the box and do things you’ve never done before. It’s easier to try something new that takes you out of your comfort zone if you’re doing it with someone you deeply care about. Make sure you both come to an agreement on how to spend the special day and plan accordingly. Most importantly, enjoy the time you’re spending together. Focus on each other and celebrate your love!

Photo credit:www.pinterest.com

Alexia Fernandez is a senior at the University of Florida. A journalism major, she has been interested in films, books and pop culture since she can remember. An avid film buff, she hopes to one day write screenplays, make films and tell stories through as many mediums as possible.