How to Keep in Touch in Long Distance Friendships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

It’s probably one of the most heartbreaking moments when someone you love has to move away. It’s hard to get used to the fact that you will not be able to see them everyday. Especially when that person had such a large influence in your life. I know from personal experience that you’ll never quite get used to having that special someone live far away. Recently, my best friend moved to California and I’m not going to lie, I cried when she told me she had to move for her acting career. I am so happy for her success, but I miss the simple things we used to do together like getting coffee, watching movies and doing homework together. Since she moved away, we make sure to keep each other up-to-date about what is going on in our lives. Follow these steps to stay in touch and you’ll never have to worry about drifting apart.

1. Writing Letters

There is something exciting about going to your mailbox knowing that you’ll find a letter from a pal instead of the usual junk mail. Letters show how much you care about someone because you take the time and effort to sit down and write your thoughts instead of just sending a quick text. Letters really help keep relationships going because you can keep it consistent with the amount of letters you send and it helps you set time aside to focus on that one person. It can also be relaxing!

2. Video Calls

What’s cool about using FaceTime and Skype is that you will be able to have a face-to-face conversation with your friend, even if you’re thousands of miles apart. It almost feels like you are right there with them because you are able to see their emotions and surroundings. FaceTime is definitely a go-to form of communication because it’s so easy and casual that you can spend hours talking to your friend without even noticing time go by.

3. Visiting

It’s an indescribable moment when you’re finally able to see yoru best friend in the flesh again instead of through a screen. It’s amazing getting to visit your friend because you can finally go to all the places she told you about over the phone, plus you get to meet the new friends who she’s been hanging out with. You can also make these visits last forever by taking videos and pictures together which will make the time you guys share together even more special.

Maintaining long distance relationships can be hard, but if enough effort is put into fostering that relationship, there’s no reason your connection can’t remain as strong as ever.

Image credit: lovesujeiry.com