Career

How I Studied for the GRE When I Wasn’t Expecting To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

I did not expect to graduate a year early. I planned to do the full four years for undergraduate, then go straight to law school. After my sophomore year, I realized I didn’t have two more years of credits left. I found myself uncertain about what I should do. I still wanted to go to law school, but I hadn’t taken the LSAT yet. I hadn’t even studied for it. The only options I saw were to take a gap year or to apply for a graduate program. I feared a gap year would lower my ambitions, and I wouldn’t want to return to the vigor of law school after a year spent working and making money. The graduate program won out. If I wanted to apply to graduate school, I needed to take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). 

I signed up in July to take the exam in November. I ordered some prep books to start studying. July flew by and I didn’t end up putting my books to use as much as I should have. My summer fun got in the way. Plus, I was working part-time. In August, my friend told me about a study program that planned study sessions and plans. All I had to do was log on and follow along. The program cost over $100, but as someone who needs structure in their lives, I thought it was worth a shot. I bought the program and spent another hundred-something dollars investing in the GRE. 

By August, I realized the program I planned to apply to waived the GRE for that year because of the pandemic. While I felt somewhat relieved that I no longer had to meet a specific score, I still knew I needed to do well since I had already spent so much money on one exam. I started following the study program in hopes that all of my time and monetary investments would be returned in the future. 

As a journalism major, I didn’t fear the writing and reading portion of the GRE. I spent years in classes learning to write and analyze passages. I thought everything was under control. But as soon as I did my first reading comprehension practice, I knew I underestimated the power of a standardized test. The forgotten formatting and foreign time limits on the practice tests left me questioning if I was really that great at reading comprehension. I thought that the GRE would be an advanced version of the SAT or an AP exam, and in a way, it was. I was just out of practice. 

Not surprisingly, I did worse on the math practice. I thought my days of algebra and geometry were over when I got my high school diploma and started college as a journalism major. But the enemy reared its ugly head again. I remembered learning the same math concepts in eighth grade and throughout high school, but I couldn’t apply them anymore. Three years of not doing math left me reliant on calculators. When I found out the GRE doesn’t let students use scientific calculators (which I had used since middle school), I almost cried. 

Overtime my reading and writing sections returned to the level I expected them to be. I just needed to adjust to the standardized formatting again. My math still lagged behind. I continued to feel frustrated with each lesson I completed it. 

To go along with the study program, I tried to study for 30 minutes to an hour every day. The days alternated between reading and math. Even the short time frame I allotted for studying was difficult to meet between my part-time job and full-time class load. I found that waking up early and studying first was the best way to ensure I got my practice in. That way, as the rest of my homework mounted, I couldn’t use it as an excuse not to study. 

There were days when my studying fell to the wayside. I didn’t touch the computer on my birthday weekend, or the weekend I visited my boyfriend. But for the most part, I tried to stay on track. I knew that if I wanted to do well, I needed to focus. 

Math continued to be the most challenging section for me. My impatience with myself showed every time I came across an answer I didn’t remember how to solve. I reminded myself that the GRE wasn’t going to be an accurate estimate of my worth and intelligence. Math was not one of my strengths, but it also wasn’t something I planned on relying on in my career as a communicator or lawyer. I knew how to find the basic percentages and daily mathematics needed for everyday functioning. I struggled to remember how to find angles based on arcs. I dreaded the math portions, but I kept studying them. Over time, I saw my scores improve. They still weren’t stellar, but they were better than where I started. 

I am now about two weeks away from taking the GRE. I am still nervous. But, I know that I have put in the time and effort to be successful. In my last few weeks of studying, I plan to utilize my early morning study sessions. I also want to focus more on the math portion of the exam since I know it is my weakest point. Despite my nervousness, I am eager to see how my hard work will pay off. Sure, I wish I had done a few more recreational math problems over the last few years. But with persistence and hard work, I am confident I will succeed on more than just the GRE. 

Growing up I attended three elementary schools, two middle schools and one high school. I moved a total of six times altogether: I have lived in Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia, Florida (twice), Missouri and Indiana. Each move taught me to love the new experiences that the world has to offer. It was the constant moving that sparked my interest in travel. Ever since I was young, I enjoyed spending hours in new places, trying new foods and collecting new stories to tell. Besides my six moves, much of my time is spent traveling to other cities within the United States. So far, my favorites have been New York City and New Orleans. The beignets from Café Du Monde made me want to cry tears of joy. My ultimate travel goal is to one day visit France. I desperately want to see the Palace of Versailles and walk through the Hall of Mirrors. While experiencing the world thus far, my taste buds have developed an affinity for coffee. Since the age of five, I have been an avid drinker. My body calls for coffee first thing in the morning and sometimes at night. I am a firm believer that all coffee needs caffeine. I also have a wicked sweet tooth and am willing to try any number of milkshakes, ice cream and doughnuts. My great loves are traveling, coffee and sweets; I also love to write. I hope to one day use my degree in journalism to tell other people’s stories in an entertaining and informative manner. It is also a part of my plan to attend law school. I look forward to experiencing all the adventures (sweets and coffee included) that life has to offer!