Giving Back With Megan Arthur

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

When Megan Arthur heard about PACE Center for Girls, an organization that aims to better the lives and education of young women, from Her Campus, she got involved and encouraged her sorority sisters to do the same.

The local center recently held a supply drive, requesting various items, including paper and hygiene products, non-perishable snacks, school supplies, accessories, and makeup. Arthur, 19, said she and Chi Omega helped collect more listed items for the drive than any other participating group.

She said she enjoyed helping the specific cause to “support girls and enable them to realize their self-worth so that they may grow into strong women,” but the middle- and high-school aged girls are not the only ones impacted.

“Not only do we get to enjoy the rewards of a better society, but we also have the satisfaction of knowing that we may have improved someone else’s life,” the family, youth, and community sciences sophomore said. “Life is a ripple effect, so we might as well make those ripples positive.”

Arthur has been involved with community service since high school, she said, during which time she was the president of two service clubs. When she returns home, she participates in activities those clubs hold, including beach cleanups, volunteering at the homeless shelter, and working with elementary schools to teach them about giving back to the community at an early age.

Recently, she has been a staff member for Gators March for Babies, a captain for Project Makeover, and a member of To Write Love on Her Arms. And on the weekdays, she is a nanny.

In the spring, Arthur’s sorority hosts a philanthropy called Sandblast, a beach volleyball tournament to benefit Make-a-Wish Foundation. Chi Omega’s fundraising efforts are more successful each year, she said, so she is excited for next semester. Until then, she said she and Chi Omega participate in other chapters’ philanthropies.

Arthur said she gives back to the community because its rewards are twofold. Knowing someone else has directly benefitted from her generosity makes her feel good about contributing to something bigger than herself, she said.

“We are the community,” she said. “What we put into something is what we get back.”

Marisa Ross is a proud Gator alumna from the University of Florida's College of Journalism, where she had the privilege of working with the UFL chapter of Her Campus as a writer, blogger, and editor. Shortly after graduating in 2015, she spent some time abroad teaching English in Madrid, Spain, and voluteering with the press team for the Rio 2016 Olympics. Currently, Marisa resides in South Florida and is thrilled to be a part of Her Campus yet again, this time as the Branded Content Specialist for Integrating Marketing with the national team. In her free time, she stays active by training for races, playing volleyball, and doing anything outdoors or on the water. And if she's not daydreaming about her next travel itinerary, she's probably embarking on a cultural adventure to explore new cities, cuisines, and activities.
Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.