Gen-Z Influencers use Social Media to Promote Body Confidence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Top Five Influencers share their thoughts and struggles about body confidence as women

Ever since middle school, I have suffered with a lack of body confidence, and in high school I had an eating disorder. I felt alone and thought no one else felt the same way as I did. When the pandemic hit, I downloaded TikTok, and my world felt a little less alone.

Spencer Barbosa

Barbosa who is prominently known for her realistic try-on hauls, proudly shows that no one’s body is perfect. We are all too familiar with the concept that the clothes you see on the mannequin won’t look the same on you. Barbosa, a medium-size body, gives honest reviews on popular clothing brands. Additionally, she talks about her own personal struggles and solutions when it comes to her own self-love journey. She also posts videos talking about things like body hair, thick thighs, belly rolls and yellow teeth and explains how beautiful and normal these characteristics are on any body type. For me, it is relatable to see a body type so similar to mine. Watching her embracing her body makes me believe that I too could be that confident about my own body.

Kristen Titus

Kristen Titus is much different than the other girls on this list because she doesn’t focus her entire platform on body confidence. Titus grew in popularity during the pandemic with her random talking points and mini vlogs of her life. When Titus came out as having a long-term eating disorder, fans felt compelled to share their stories as well. In her content, she proves that she is so much more than the eating disorder that once consumed her for a good part of her childhood. Through her random and heartfelt vlogs about her life, travel and family, viewers can see that trauma and low confidence isn’t permanent. Titus continues to fight against stereotypes and stigmas, as she tries to educate her viewers about the struggles of experiencing an eating disorder.

Deanna Giulietti

Like many influencers, Deanna Giulietti grew on TikTok during the height of the pandemic. Giulietti is most known for her “OOTD,” videos where she hypes up herself and her outfit. This trend soon spread to a movement of cheering on other women as they showed off their outfits and made what some women find a stressful task of creating an outfit, a fun activity. Giulietti uses her platform to spread positivity and love, when most people – like me – don’t always have the grace or energy to find it within ourselves every day. She is always a go-to when you need to brighten up your day or just want to smile.

Brittani Lancaster

Brittani Lancaster’s platform is based on changing the way you think about your body and about food. Lancaster has talked a lot on her platforms about her eating disorder that she experienced as a teenager and into her young adult years. She shows “what I eat in a day” videos and vlogs. What makes her so special is she doesn’t just show all the good days, but she also shows when she struggles with food and her confidence. It is refreshing to see a fellow female experiencing the roller coaster of emotions, thoughts and experiences that I thought were unique to me. If you are looking for someone who is more food and exercise focused when it comes to body confidence, she would be my first pick.

Remi Bader

Remi Bader is a plus-size model, spokesperson and fashion influencer. Bader creates videos of her try-on trendy brands to give a realistic view of how clothes can really look on an un-photoshopped person compared to the model. She is funny, lighthearted and blunt when it comes to these reviews, and it is so lovely to see someone who is so sure about herself. She preaches about how the body shouldn’t fit the clothes but how the clothes should fit the body. Her platform pushes the boundaries within the fashion industry and is exactly the kind of confidence I hope to embody one day.

These women are all different, but all have one thing in common, they believe that every body is beautiful. This is exactly the kind of energy more women need in their life and is exactly why they should be your next follow.

Hello I am Emma! I am a first-year journalism student at the University of Florida. I love sports, reading and watching Gilmore Girls.