Gainesville vs. Tallahassee: A Breakdown of Why The Swamp is Better

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

This article was collaborated on by two HC UFL team members, Marisa Masters and Karla Arboleda.

Gainesville has become a warm home to us UF gators with the places, spaces and traditions that it provides for us daily. Each day we notice a new campus quirk or visit a community event that makes us proud to live in such a diverse and beautiful college town.

Our biggest rival, FSU, likes to think that the ranks of Tallahassee (a.k.a. Tally, Tallanasty, Tallatrashy, etc.) can compare to the legacy that Gainesville (a.k.a. Gainesvegas, Gville, The ‘Ville, etc.) has marked in a list of college towns across the nation. What The Nasty has, The Ville tends to easily one-up. Noles, let us remind you of what exactly we love about our college town that you will never have the pleasure of experiencing.

1. The Bars

• UF has… The Swamp Restaurant: Located in the heart from Midtown directly across from campus, The Swamp is our first choice for gameday grub, especially during football season and always year-round. Orange and blue, Swampritas, rowdy reptiles and some quality Florida football — what more do you need? Before or after the game, you’ll definitely be getting your spirit on at The Swamp.

• FSU has… Pots: Pots, more formally known as Potbelly’s, is the go-to destination for nightlife in Tallahassee. Everyone has been there, and everyone continues to go there. Pots has that “Tallanasty” feel to it and appeals to most Seminoles. While Swamp is commonly recognized as a place that has incredible food, Pots’s food should not be touched with a 10-foot pole.

2. Late-Night Grub

• UF has… Pizza By the Slice: You’re hungry, you’ve been in wedges for what seems like hours, your friends want to trek through Midtown relentlessly, and your greasiest wishes never seemed so distant — but wait! The mecca is in sight; Italian Gator Pizza by the Slice is your savior. This hole-in-the-wall provides you with that kick you needed to avoid heading home early. Even though it’s currently closed for construction, we’re eagerly awaiting its reopening so we can be reunited with those big-as-your-face slices of pizza.

• FSU has… McDonald’s by The Strip: McDonald’s by The Strip, an unofficial title for the McDonald’s located right near a bunch of bars called “The Strip,” is the perfect detour on a walk home from being out. It’s disgusting, but it gets the job done. Pizza By the Slice, while the food is not the best to eat during the day, is far more elite (with the loosest definition of the word) and far more accessible with a convenient window to shove your money through.

3. On-Campus Transportation

• UF has… Scooters: A love-hate relationship we all have had the pleasure of knowing is with our resident scooters. Whether you have one, you’ve hit one or you’ve rejoiced in the sight of your quickest ride home, UF students have easily recognized the scooter as a symbol of our college life. We know we could walk places, but five bucks for every tank of gas? Let’s take Archer and I-75 to get to the mall! (Note: Please relax and don’t drive a scooter on the highway).

• FSU has… No scooters: FSU students have not capitalized on the amazing accessibility and convenience of scooters around campus. Scooters have your back when you can’t find a parking spot, and they’re perfect for driving around our beautiful campus. Scooters are not weird.

4. Late-Night Campus Transportation

• UF has… SNAP: Another light at the end of a tunnel in terms of how we’re getting home tonight is our Student Nighttime Auxiliary Patrol. SNAP has been provided to us by Student Government and the UFPD for free! UF recognizes the buddy system as the best way to stay away from potentially frightening situations. We’ll call a SNAP van, and they’ll pick us up at any one of their stops located throughout the entire campus. From Sorority Row to Hull Road, you’re covered with a ride at night.

• FSU has… Yellow Cab: FSU’s free university-sanctioned transportation system other than busses is Gotcha, and this option is far different from our convenient SNAP vans that have a handy dandy app. They have to pay for their “Nole Cab,” and the only other option is Uber, which UF students also utilize. This one can be considered a tie because the go-to transportation option (and by far the most convenient) is Uber for both campuses.

5. On-Campus Views

• UF has… Turlington Plaza: The place where you inevitably walk through to get to class from any angle of the campus, you can find both a plethora of bikes and your friend’s sister’s service fraternity’s tri-fold presentation shoving its next event down your throat. Sometimes you’ll take that little path closest to Marston Science Library in order to *just* miss the nearest tabling irritation, but in the end, you’ll probably take that flier from the last Turlington crier you see.

• FSU has… Oglesby Student Union: The Union should definitely be avoided on Market Wednesday. Somehow, both Turlington and The Union attract the attacking of fliers and tabling being thrown in students’ faces. I think this one is a draw.

6. Famous Statues

• UF has… Steve Spurrier, Danny Wuerffel and Tim Tebow Statues: Representing Gators everywhere from the Florida Field and beyond, our boys are forever embodied by these statues located right outside the stadium. Stop by to pose with our athletic heroes— let’s see you Tebowing on the UF Snapchat story!

• FSU has… The Unconquered Statue: This statue represents the spirit of the Seminole people, and the spirit of the students who attend Florida State who symbolically take on that spirit. The statue represents the values Florida State was founded on, and our football statues represent the spirit of The Swamp and how incredible our students can be.

7. Nightlife

• UF has… Midtown: Are you under 21 and trying to dance on every stranger in sweaty conformity? Of course you are! We hit up Midtown when we’re taking advantage of Ladies’ Night drink specials, trying to eat some quick food, or celebrating that one girl’s 21st birthday sign night. Drive by around 1 a.m. and you are guaranteed to see quite the shenanigans. No matter what you’re planning on doing in Midtown, you’re in for a good time with friends.

• FSU has… College Town: College Town and Midtown are destinations for both day and night. They both have great food during the day and great nightlife once the sun goes down. They also both have a Cantina in Tallahassee, which is cool. College Town unfortunately has a Brooklyn Water Bagel, which gives them a couple more bonus points, but our nightlife is significantly cheaper and more accessible by walking or SNAP.

8. Libraries

• UF has… Library West: Library West, or should I say Club West? Club West was bumping back in its glory days of 24-hour service and is now retired as the school’s most-visited study spot. If you ever want to see that guy you met one night, or the girl you’ve talked to in class once, Lib West is the place to be! Library West is known as the library with the most outlets on the UF campus, and you’ll be able to capitalize on that outlet if you can find a spot to sit. Library West is an absolutely beautiful library (with a great Starbucks), and as much as everyone complains about everything, I wouldn’t change it for the world.

• FSU has… Strozier: Strozier is a 24-hour library like Club West used to be (RIP). It also has a Starbucks inside, so students all over campus can rely on espresso shots to get through their all-nighter. Library West is the faciest place to be on the planet, and I assume Strozier to be slightly less facey because do people who go to FSU even go to the library? Hah… kidding.

9. Instagram-Worthy Campus Spots

• UF has… Century Tower: As UF students take a stroll anywhere on campus, they can hear the harmonious sounds of the bell tower while enjoying the view of this tall building in the distance. You know you’re home when you see this great tower and can Instagram a scenic picture. Caption: Glad to be a part of the Gator Nation! #ItsGreatUF (insert gator Emoji).

• FSU has… Ruby Diamond Concert Hall: The Ruby Diamond Concert Hall is a beautiful piece of architecture, so why is it on the Florida State campus? It is the first thing people think about, along with the Westcott Fountain, and it is the background in the profile picture of your friend who didn’t get into UF.

10. Outdoorsy Weekend Getaways

• UF has… Ginnie Springs: Ginnie Springs is a magical place that most people will only experience in Gainesville. People visit from all over to take in the pure beauty of the springs and all of the activities Mother Nature has to offer. Nothing can compare to crystal-clear springs, especially near the best university in the world.

• FSU has… Bear Paw: Ginnie Springs looks cleaner and more aesthetically pleasing than Bear Paw, although both are equally as relaxing. Bear Paw does have some really great caves to explore, but canoeing is the focal point there. Ginnie Springs has a plethora of different activities on land and in water.

11. Open Spaces on Campus

• UF has… Plaza of the Americas: Another beautiful landscape addition to this already decorated list includes the Plaza of the Americas. Sway in your hammock between two grandiose trees while chilling to the tune of a book before your next class. Have some Krishna lunch, meet a friend, head to Club West, enjoy the (University of) Florida sun and take in the diversity of students you are guaranteed to pass. After all, our Plaza was named after international unity.

• FSU has… Landis Green: The Landis Green is a huge expanse with the same criss-crossing sidewalks as the Plaza. It’s also adjacent to Strozier like the Plaza is adjacent to Library West. Plaza has significantly more trees and a more cozy feel with tables and benches, and it also features Krishna lunch, which is absolutely amazing and makes UF win this one. FSU does get kudos for how enormous and green Landis is though.

12. School Mascots

• UF has… Albert and Alberta: These two are your biggest fans while you spend four years at the greatest university in the world, and your relationship goals all in one loving partnership. Albert and Alberta frequent every sporting event, opening, unveiling, anniversary and President Fuchs photo-op. Not to mention that our school has a female representative ready to kick butt in a dress. Catch them holding hands and making you “Aw!” at the next baseball game.

• FSU has… Chief Osceola: FSU’s mascot is Chief Osceola, the leader of the Seminoles. The Gator is significantly more ferocious, than a man on a horse, but the Chief does get props for mastering the art of waving a flag on an actual horse. But let’s be real…  Albert and Alberta are the most adorable mascots in the world. The Chief has to maintain a powerful stance to avoid any scandal or anything inappropriate, while Albert and Alberta couldn’t possibly offend anyone.

13. Campus Traditions

• Gator Growl: Known for its rad lineups and huge buildup, Gator Growl focuses on the fact that, yes, it is great to be a Florida Gator. The Homecoming Parade, Pageant and pep rally bring us closer together through spirit and a passion to continue tradition. Student producers, directors and staff collaborate in order to create a glory-filled string of events that ultimately kick off another successful school year and a hopeful win on the field.
  • Florida State University Homecoming: FSU Homecoming lacks a fun title like “Gator Growl,” just to start things off. They do have a similar event called “Pow Wow,” which is kind of a funny name considering their mascot. FSU Homecoming is also not entirely student-run like Gator Growl is, which makes Gator Growl even cooler. Aside from our regrettable incident with Brooks Wheelan, our Gator Growl performers are way more notable.

There you have it; need we say more? To our greatest foes: If this list about the Gator Nation doesn’t entice you, you were probably meant to be gator bait anyway.

Interested in seeing how the Noles said Tallahassee is better than Gainesville? Check out Her Campus FSU’s article, “10 Reasons Why Tallahassee is Better than Gainesville” (although we all know they’re just really in denial…). 

Photo Credits: jaxevents.com

Victoria is a junior journalism major at the University of Florida. As a writer for Her Campus, she enjoyed writing about fashion and giving advice to readers. She is currently a senior editor of Her Campus UFL and is in training to become the chapter's next Campus Correspondent. Outside of class and Her Campus, you can find Victoria scoping out cute boys with friends, longboarding around campus, or hanging out with her Alpha Omicron Pi sisters. She enjoys traveling to new cities, spending time outside, drinking toffee nut iced coffees, shopping, trying new types of food and working for Her Campus!