A Full Face of Sustainable Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Earth Day is just around the corner, which means it’s time to start showing mother nature a little extra love. We all know the three coveted R’s: reduce, reuse and recycle. But, how often are we following those simple rules? I do my best to recycle old cardboard boxes and soda cans, but there are so many products we use that I never even thought of recycling.

The cosmetic industry is a huge polluter from its use of chemicals to make the products themselves to the containers used to package each product.

Think of your bin of makeup. How much of it can be recycled? If it’s not glass or specifically stated as recyclable, chances are your old products are going to be clogging up a landfill. Just as we deserve to feel beautiful so does mother nature.

I did a little research to find some of the best cruelty-free and no-waste products out there to be able to put together a full face of recyclable makeup.

Foundation: Atmosphere Luminous Foundation

This product was named Allure Beauty’s Best Award Winner for Natural Wonders. This stick foundation is made from 70 percent organic ingredients and 30 percent mineral and essential oils. The product itself was made with sustainable wind energy and all the packaging is recyclable. The environment won’t be the only one thanking you for this product – this product is also said to calm and balance your skin.

Concealer: Illusionist Concealer

This concealer comes from the same brand of the foundation I mentioned above, Vapor Organic Beauty. The company’s website has multiple products, but I thought I’d mention these two base makeup products. The foundation and concealer are made from the same ingredients (listed on their website). These products offer the coverage you want while also allowing your skin to breathe.

Setting Powder: Phyto-Pigments Flawless Finishing Powder

This vegan and cruelty-free setting powder is perfect to keep your concealer and foundation in place. The formula is made to keep your base makeup looking flawless all day with luminous and even coverage. The packaging is recyclable and easily cleaned out for when you’re ready to dispose of it.

Eyebrows: Nourish & Define Brow Pomade

Plume Nourish & Define Brow Pomade is made to encourage the growth of your brows as well as shape them. The price is steep for a brow pomade, but if you have sparse brows, the promotion of more hairs might make the price worth it. The website lists every ingredient of the product and shows stamps of approval from companies ensuring that this pomade is vegan, cruelty-free and paraben free.

Eyeshadow: Certified Organic Quattro Eyeshadow Croisette

The palette of four colors can be used for a natural, everyday look. There are multiple palettes made from similar ingredients, which can be found on Antonyms’ website. Ecocert Greenlife assures that these products are 99.67 percent from a natural origin. The palette’s cute packaging is made from sustainable bamboo, making this product adorable and functional.

Eyeliner: W3LL PEOPLE Hypnotist Eyeliner Black

An eye look isn’t complete without a swipe of liner! This product by W3ll People can be found online at Target. The product is cruelty-free, vegan and free of parabens, making it perfect for sustainability.

Mascara: TARTELights, Camera, Lashes™ 4-in-1 Mascara

This mascara can be found at Sephora from the brand Tarte. Tarte is a popular brand best known for their eyeshadows, but their mascara is notable. This mascara claims to be vegan and to condition and treat your lashes.

Blush/Highlighter: Certified Organic Highlighting Blush Cheek Crush

This blush and highlighter duo is made into a single compact for easy access as well as for a cute flush swept across your cheek. This compact is made of sustainable bamboo as well as being made of 99% organic ingredients. The blush could be flattering on many skin tones, and it leaves a beautiful highlight.

Lipstick: Axiology

Axiology has a variety of shades from subdued pinks and reds to wild blues that could compliment different skin tones. These lipsticks come in recyclable tubes and are made with only ten natural products. The lipsticks come in hand-recycled boxes made by Balinese women.

All these products are vegan, cruelty-free and come in recyclable packaging. The products were chosen to be able to create an entire face of recyclable makeup. Sustainability is a choice we make every day, and makeup is just another way to keep Earth a little bit cleaner.

Michaela is a third-year journalism major at the University of Florida and is currently majoring in journalism. You can find her soaking up the Florida sun at the beach, shopping at a thrift store, or in the front row of a local band's show. Her friends, good coffee and a book are one of the many things that keep her smiling every day.