Style

The Freshman Style Shift No One Talks About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

The science behind it all

The rapid influence of social media in the past decade has become a controversial topic that has posed the question of whether such easy access to the internet prompts positive or negative effects. People usually believe the latter because of the very visible impacts social media has on young women in society. In high school, girls can feel like they’re competing against each other for the best clothes, cars, jewelry and technology all in hopes of getting those extra likes on their posts. When social media users get notifications, it causes a release of dopamine, resulting in a drug-like “high” from the false reassurance of those double taps. The entire process results in teens becoming obsessed with their appearances and being overly conscious of how they look.

High school mindset

I can remember refusing to go to Publix without makeup on as young as 13 years old. Looking back, I can’t believe I cared more about covering up my acne and wearing a fashionable outfit than living my truth and throwing on a trusted pair of leggings. This toxic thought process only got worse as I entered high school and watched older students appear as if they were always on their A-game. Everyone goes through this stage in their lives at some point, but growing up in the age of social media didn’t exactly help the matter. Although academics held strong in my book of values throughout my time in high school, I took my social life seriously as well and just wanted to fit in like everyone else. According to the Stage of Life website, an online resource that illustrates statistics on teenagers, 95% of teens have felt inferior in their lives, and, within that percentage, 59% felt it was due to their physical appearance.

Driven by academics

Some may say a weight is lifted off students’ shoulders as they enter their first year of college. If you scan the campus of the University of Florida, chances are you’ll see a swarm of women in running shorts and casual t-shirts. I believe freshman year sparks a true shift in one’s mind by providing a realization that your appearance doesn’t define your success or worth. As UF students’ brains begin their last development as they approach the age of 21, a new perspective is gained on what truly matters. Maturity comes with age and experience, which is why freshman year allows the 18-year-old population to bloom as they focus on academics and cultivating a college experience that is not propelled by social media or meeting the expectations of others. With UF holding the title of a Top 7 public university, it’s clear its students put school first. Students potentially lack the time needed to constantly look their best, and maybe that’s for the better.

It comes with experience

Mayson Sages, a freshman public relations major, runs an Instagram account with around 6,000 followers to date. Despite having a following, Sages finds a balance in allowing her social media status to dictate her style as she enters her first year of college. She realizes she has been exposed to fashion trends through online websites, but she focuses on her personal aesthetics when choosing an outfit for the day. Sages views social media as a positive outlet that enhances people’s changing mindsets as they go through their freshman year.

“There are people at the University of Florida who do try to look their best,” Sages said. “I personally think you don’t need to look pretty to be at your best.”

Instead of using social media to compare herself to others, Sages uses Instagram to express her style as she transitions between high school and college. Sages enjoys sharing her fashion-forward looks, but also finds power in comfortable clothing.

“Dressing casual is a great way to find yourself,” Sages said. “Just always dress casual because no one cares.” As young women make the switch between high school and freshman year, their style begins to deviate from constantly being put together to a more casual approach. Instead of focusing on others’ opinions, focus on what really matters. You’ll become a happier and more confident you.

Lindsey is a junior public relations major pursuing a minor in event management. She is a senior editor for Her Campus UFL.