Freshman Reflections: Ariana Grande, Procrastination & Alone Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

August has passed, and the dawn of a crisp fall season is on its way. Pumpkin Spice Lattes are back in business, baby.

August delineated a month of massive transition for thousands of college freshmen, while for other students, it was just another month of being back at school. Despite it not being the proverbial new year, August is one of its greatest turning points: new school year, new clothes, new haircut, new supplies and sometimes a whole new school in a new state, city and/or country. Whether you’re a freshman stepping foot into the hallways of high school or the crosswalks of college, it’s going to feel different.

And so, now that I’ve completed a month of college, here’s a look back at what I’ve learned.

1. You’re going to be alone a lot.

What they don’t tell you about college is that you’re going to be alone — a lot. Walking to classes, eating and studying are things that you’re going to be doing alone most of the time. Sure, I have friends who attend UF, but we’re all on different schedules. Seeing each other every day isn’t as easy as it used to be. Learning how to be by myself and following my own routine  without the influence of others has helped me better understand who I am. Being alone at times is a nice change — it’s definitely different but nice. For the first time, I am navigating the world on my own terms. No one really cares about what I’m doing, and I don’t really care about what anyone else is doing (and I mean that in the best way possible).

2. Ariana Grande – thank you for Sweetener.

Through my various highs and lows of August, Ariana’s new album definitely helped me get through the last couple of weeks. Walking around campus with Ariana Grande telling me to “just keep breathing” makes me feel like I’m on top of the world. Sweetener gave me the extra boost of confidence that I needed, and I’m not ashamed to say that it’s been on repeat every single morning while I’m getting ready.

3. No one knows what they’re doing.

I’ve met people with majors ranging from zoology to computer science. Everyone I have spoken to is uncertain as to where the wind will take them during college. I’m not really sure of how I feel about this. College is a time of growth, but at what point do we know what we’re doing? At what point do we all collectively agree that we are on the right path? I thought, at the very least, people in college would have their lives together. I was wrong. None of us know what we’re doing. And I guess that’s okay —  for now?

4. There are at least 10 different ways to get to one spot.

Well, at least for my Mass Media and You class. I have this class in McCarty Hall C, and I have quite literally taken a different route to get there every day. Don’t ask me how I have managed to do this. In a different sense, we all want to be successful. Whether you want to be a renowned writer or the top shark researcher in the world, there are infinite ways to get to where you want to be. Just because someone else is taking a different path doesn’t mean you can’t get to the same destination at your own pace and on your own terms. College definitely isn’t for everyone, and that’s something I’ve realized now that I have a month of college under my belt.

5. Procrasti-cooking is a real thing.

Get this: it’s 4 p.m. Almost dinner time. I have three hours of homework and readings to complete. But then I think to myself, “You know, food is really, really important, and I have to make a five-course nutritious meal because I have to stay healthy.” Self-care is the key to living a happy and fulfilling life. I turn up the stove to boil some water to make pasta, and before you know it, I’ve spent three hours making spaghetti, and I still have three hours of homework and readings to complete on top of that. But at least I’m not hungry anymore, right?

6. Bad days are okay.

I came to college with the unrealistic expectation that every day would be the best day ever. Each day would be full of fun, excitement and new experiences. And yes, some days are like that. However, there are other days when nothing happens at all — like when it’s pouring outside and there’s nothing to do. Or when life gets hard, no matter what you do to make it better. I’ve been learning to just roll with those days.

7. Love is hard.

The beginning of the school year tends to put a lot of strain on relationships. One person goes off to college while the other is still in high school, or they both end up going to college far away from each other. Whether you’re in a long-distance relationship or you’re just calling it off for now, please know that no amount of Googling or searching forums will tell you exactly what to do. Do whatever feels right, even if it may be hard. The years between 18-22 are some of the most transformative years of your life. Take these years as an opportunity to grow and develop yourself. Learn some new things, acquire new hobbies, and enjoy late-night ice cream runs with new friends. Allow yourself to grow, and I promise you that the people who are meant to stay in your life will not go anywhere.

8. Hold onto the things that make you feel at home.

Okay, hear me out. When I was back in my hometown, I watched a lot of Youtube videos. I haven’t had as much time to watch these videos since my arrival in Gainesville. I would religiously binge on David Dobrik vlogs, Brooklyn Nine-Nine and New Girl back home. Whenever I’m feeling a little homesick, I watch an old vlog or show, and I feel better because they make me feel at home. They also help keep my mind off of my daily stresses.

Now, it’s been about three weeks of college. I’m getting by, but I know that when midterms roll around, I’ll be begging to go back to August. I know that a year from now, I’ll look back and think about how little I once knew. But right now, I’m taking it all in. The blazing hot walks to class, the torrential downpours and the endless hordes of people getting across campus.

Change is scary, but it’s the only thing we can be certain about. No matter what, change is always going to occur. Whether you hold yourself back or adapt with the incoming tides is up to you.

‘Til next month.