kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fitness With Finesse: Why We’re Still Obsessing Over Laurie Hernandez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

At just 16 years old, Laurie Hernandez has already competed at the highest level of gymnastics. Her floor routines during the Rio Olympics highlighted her serious skills and epic fierceness. From staying determined to embracing her self-proclaimed “big build,” this Olympian has won over a couple of hearts (including ours).

1. She embraces herself just the way she is

Laurie’s all about promoting body confidence. In an interview with shape.com, she said, “I have a big build, and I love it. It’s important to love yourself because no one can really do that for you.” Preach it, girl.

2. Her confidence is admirable

Her sneaky winks didn’t just win over the heart of America, but also won over some of the judges. The amount of confidence that radiates just through her smile alone is admirable. Before any routine, she is known for whispering to herself, “I got this.” It quickly became her mantra, and I know find myself saying it after I brush my teeth in the morning.

3. She’s already a role model

Laurie has already inspired so many girls who watched her during the Olympics, including myself. She’s the second U.S. Latina gymnast to compete in the Olympics in over 30 years. This Puerto Rican cutie fully embraces her Latino heritage so much that she was even nicknamed “Baby Shakira.”

Even though we won’t be seeing Laurie back with the Final Five anytime soon, you can check her out on this season of Dancing with the Stars! Tune in to watch Laurie leap over the competition Mondays at 8/7c.

Photo credit: usmagazine.com

Natalie Cardenas is a fourth year Political Science and Spanish major at the University of Florida. She is from Miami, so Spanglish is basically her first language. She enjoys watching Friends, obsessing over stationery, and lives in black leggings. This past summer she interned with Latina Magazine in NYC, and fell in love with the city life. She plans on booking a one way ticket to the Big Apple after graduation.