Fitness with Finesse: How to Eliminate Problem Areas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Let’s admit it collegiettes ™… We all have that one part of our body we try to work out, but nothing changes — our “problem areas.” Or maybe you’re trying to work off that Freshman 15, but there’s just that one area you can’t seem to make any progress with. I’m here to help you say goodbye to your troubles! With these simple, quick and effective exercises for different areas, your problems will melt away. With healthy eating and commitment to these workouts, you can have your dream body.

1. Love handles We’ve all had the feeling of panic when we put our bathing suit on for the first time of swimsuit season, and we see love handles have appeared over the sweater filled winter. You can spend months trying to work that muffin top away, but I’ve got one simple trick that will melt them away. Side pinches focus on the oblique muscle located on your sides. Begin by lying flat on your back, with your knees bent and hands by your sides and with your palms facing down. With your left hand, slide your hand to your left foot using your side muscles. Return to the beginning position slowly, and repeat on the other side. Do this 30 times once a day!

2. Saddlebags Do you have those stubborn fat deposits on your thighs that just won’t go away? Though this exercise may seem simple, with consistent cardio, you will get rid of those saddlebags. We all know how to do a classic squat, but spread your feet further apart and turn your toes out about 45 degrees. Try to add more weights to your squats as you get stronger.

3. Bingo wings Bingo wings may seem like something you won’t have to deal with, but the Freshmen 15 can creep up on you in different ways. To avoid those pesky flaps on your arms, do triceps exercises. My favorite is the backwards curl. Begin with any kind of weight (a water bottle, book or dumbbell). Stand up straight, with your hands behind your head, holding your weight. Straighten your arms all the way above your head, and then, lower slowly to the beginning position. Repeat 30 times each day.

4. The belly pooch Crop tops are in right now, but you can’t bring yourself to show off that troublesome pooch. Many abdominal workouts only target your upper abs, which won’t do anything to that pouch you’re worried about. The best lower abs workout around is the leg lift — simple, yet effective. Lie on the ground flat on your back, with your hands under the small of your back. Begin with your feet together, and lift them up about 45 degrees. Hold this for 10 seconds, and then slowly bring them back. Repeat five times each day for the toned, crop-top-ready belly of your dreams.

Having a trouble area on your body can be frustrating, but with confidence in yourself and commitment to your body, these exercises will help you on your path to fitness nirvana. And even though you may have problem areas, remember to love the body you have no matter what. Enjoy your workout, collegiettes ™!