Fitness with Finesse: Getting Your Workout on With Taylor Swift

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Everyone can admit they at least secretly jam to Taylor Swift’s latest songs, whether before you go to Midtown or while you’re running in The Swamp. Now you can use this workout set to “Blank Space” to get your workout on. During each part of the song, do a different exercise; working out your upper and lower abs, arms and legs in the four-minute hit song.

1. Start the song near a wall, so for the first verse of the song, (about 30 seconds) you can do a wall sit. Bend you knees to a right angle, and make sure your back is perpendicular to the wall the whole time.

Nice to meet youWhere you been?I could show you incredible thingsMagic, madness, heaven, sinSaw you there and I thought oh my godLook at that face, you look like my next mistakeLove’s a game, wanna play?

2. For the next 20 seconds of the song, do squats. Make sure your feet are shoulder length apart and that you get down far enough to give yourself a good workout. Soon, your legs will make the bad guys good for a weekend. As soon as it transitions, get on the floor for the next verse!

New money, suit and tieI can read you like a magazineAin’t it funny rumors flyAnd I know you heard about meSo hey, let’s be friendsI’m dying to see how this one endsGrab your passport and my handI could make the bad guys good for a weekend

3. For the pre-chorus, do small crunches while on the floor. The pre-chorus will be repeated two more times after this, so be prepared!

So it’s gonna be foreverOr it’s gonna go down in flamesYou can tell me when it’s overIf the high was worth the painGot a long list of ex-loversThey’ll tell you I’m insaneCause you know I love the playersAnd you love the game

4. We all know the chorus! For these 20 seconds of the song, remain on your back, and hold your feet together six inches above the ground. Leg lifts will leave you breathless! In the next verse, you’ll need to be on your stomach, so prepare for that.

Cause we’re young and we’re recklessWe’ll take this way too far It’ll leave you breathlessOr with a nasty scarGot a long list of ex-loversThey’ll tell you I’m insaneBut I got a blank space babyAnd I’ll write your name

5. For the first half of the verse, which is about 20 seconds long, do push-ups. (“Girl push-ups” are always acceptable.) While T. Swift sings “Oh no,” turn over so you’re prepared for the next exercise.

Cherry lipsCrystal skiesI could show you incredible thingsStolen kisses, pretty liesYou’re the king baby I’m your queenFind out what you wantBe that girl for a monthBut the worst is yet to comeOh no

6. This part of the song will work out your abs again. For this verse, do Russian twists. Balance yourself on your bottom, bending at your hips so your head and feet are not on the ground. Then, put your hands together and touch your left hip, turn your whole body, and then touch your right hip. Continue until the pre-chorus again.

Screaming, crying, perfect stormsI could make all the tables turnRose garden filled with thornsKeep you second-guessing like oh my godWho is she? I get drunk on jealousyBut you’ll come back each time you leaveCause darling I’m a nightmare dressed like a daydream

7. Repeat the previous exercise for the pre-chorus (crunches).

8. Repeat the previous exercise for the chorus (leg lifts).

9. I’m giving you a short break before the last push; I don’t want this to be torture!

Boys only want love if it’s tortureDon’t say I didn’t say I didn’t warn youBoys only want love if it’s tortureDon’t say I didn’t say I didn’t warn you

10. Repeat the previous exercise for the pre-chorus (crunches).

11. Repeat the previous exercise for the chorus (leg lifts).

Enjoy your T. Swift jam sesh, and do a quick workout to start your day off right. You can also add this to your pre-run warm up or post-run cool down. If you’re not a Taylor Swift fan, then fear not! This workout set can easily be adapted to any other song of similar length so you’re feeling motivated and ready to conquer a your workout with the band or artist of your liking.