Fitness with Finesse: Dress Good, Feel Good

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.
As collegiettes, we are well aware of the comfort of cute, trendy workout clothes. We wear workout clothes to the grocery store, class, or while just hanging out with friends. Wearing athletic clothes can have a similar effects on how you feel when you wear professional attire. We all know how a nice fitted suit can have us feeling like we can conquer anything that comes at us. Wearing a suit to an interview and wearing jeans and a tank top can have two completely different effects on us mentally. What you wear can greatly influence your behavior and actions.
A study at Northwestern University  looked at the correlation between students wearing a lab coat and those wearing street clothes while performing attention-related tasks. The study found that those wearing lab coats performed better than those in street clothes. One of the researcher strongly suggested that athletic clothing can make a person more likely to go to the gym and engage in a more active lifestyle.”Having the right clothing doesn’t just remove a hurdle; it reinforces your identity as an exerciser,” McGonigal  PhD, a health psychologist said. “And when exercising is an integral part of your identity, it isn’t optional anymore. It’s just part of your life.” 
More importantly, we have to wear our fabulous new workout clothes somewhere, preferably the gym. I recommend stocking up on at least seven new gym outfits to eliminate any last-minute laundry runs. Spend a little more now in order to save time later. A great way to start your athletic gear shopping is to simplify; you may want to get several of the same tops and bottoms. “There’s no time-consuming decision making that way,” said Patricia Moreno, a FITNESS advisory board member and body and mind coach for the website SatiLife. “Look for basics that are comfy and show off your assets — whether that’s your shoulders or your abs — so you feel good just suiting up.” So go out at get athletic gear that will transform you into a gym goddess and make you feel motivated to hit up Southwest Recreation Center instead of binging on episodes of Friends on Netflix.
Victoria is a junior journalism major at the University of Florida. As a writer for Her Campus, she enjoyed writing about fashion and giving advice to readers. She is currently a senior editor of Her Campus UFL and is in training to become the chapter's next Campus Correspondent. Outside of class and Her Campus, you can find Victoria scoping out cute boys with friends, longboarding around campus, or hanging out with her Alpha Omicron Pi sisters. She enjoys traveling to new cities, spending time outside, drinking toffee nut iced coffees, shopping, trying new types of food and working for Her Campus!