Fitness with Finesse: The Best And Worst Drinks At Starbucks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

The start of Fall semester means late nights and early mornings, which inevitably means trips to Starbucks for quick pick-me-ups. Choosing between the tons of sweet drink options can be hard, especially when you’re trying to eat healthier. When it comes to choosing your caffeine boost, keep in mind these three healthy options and be sure to avoid some of the worst options.

The best

1. Grande caramel macchiato with skim milkOne very popular drink among collegiettes is the caramel macchiato. This sweet drink can be a healthy and satisfying option with the use of skim milk. At only 190 calories, it’s a great option for those late night study sessions at Library West or Marston Science Library.

2. Tall caramel Frappuccino blended coffee with skim milk & no whipped creamAlmost any Frappuccino drink can be made into a “light” version. Ordering light will take your favorite iced drink from 300 calories to 180 by using skim milk and nixing the whipped cream altogether.

3. Grande iced skinny mochaWith a little bit of mocha sauce, espresso and skim milk, this simple drink will satisfy your caffeine craving at only 100 calories.

The worst

1. Grande iced peppermint white chocolate mocha Colder weather always brings a craving for peppermint and chocolate, but this iced drink is one minty beverage you need to skip. With sweet whipped cream on top and loads of syrup flavoring, the drink contains 500 calories. That’s about the same amount of calories as one meal.

2. Grande caffè vanilla FrappuccinoThis Frappuccino, along with most Fraps at Starbucks, comes in at about 420 calories. Instead, try out a healthier option or order the light version.

3. Grande double chocolaty chip Frappuccino blended crèmeWhile this chocolaty drink is always a temptation when getting an early morning boost, this drink will cost you 420 calories. I suggest trying an iced skinny mocha instead if you’re in need of that chocolate fix.

While black coffee or plain tea is always the healthiest option at Starbucks, sometimes it’s too hard to avoid the temptation of sweet, sugary drinks. Next time you stop at The Hub’s Starbucks for a quick drink on the way to class, keep these drinks in mind.

Photo credit:www.savannahnow.com