Wellness > Health

Fitness with Finesse: 5 Tips for Avoiding the Freshman 15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

As Baby Gators transition from their nice home-cooked meals to microwavable dishes and fast food in the Hub, it’s easy to hop on the Freshman 15 train. Lucky for you, these five pointers will keep you in the clear of the infamous weight gain and help you feel more confident than ever.

1. Ditch the RamenAnd I mean now. Ramen noodles may seem like an effortless, appetizing meal to heat up in the microwave, but beware. Most Ramen meals contain about 800 to 900 mg of sodium per serving, which is about 35 percent of your daily sodium intake. In addition, many nutrition labels are for half of a serving. When does anyone ever eat half the serving? Never. You may think you’re only consuming 180 calories and 850 mg of sodium, but look closely. You’re most likely chomping down 360 calories and 1700 mg of sodium with very little protein. 

2. Make time for exercise Instead of lying in bed watching Netflix on your laptop, get up and exercise. Plan study time at Library West into your schedule, and use some of that extra space to get a little sweaty. Figure out when you’ll have time to hit up Southwest Recreation Center or the Student Recreation and Fitness Center. If you’d rather stay outside, you can run laps or do stadiums at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Try walking to class during the day instead of taking Gainesville RTS. You not only get to admire UF’s beautiful campus, but you also get to burn some calories. Take advantage of all the classes and resources RecSports has to offer like yoga, cycling, kickboxing, interval training and stadium conditioning. If you’d prefer to work out in your dorm room, try downloading some free fitness applications like PumpUp or Fitbit.

3. Keep track of your caloric intake It’s easy to grab chips and eat straight out of the bag without really thinking of how much you’re actually eating. Downloading applications such as MyPlate and Calorie Counter & Diet Tracker will keep you aware of how many calories you should be eating versus how many you actually intake. Once you adapt to regularly keeping track of your diet, you’ll realize eating a giant bag of Doritos is not the answer. Also, beware of the calories hidden in beverages. I know Starbucks Frappuccinos or Jamba Juice smoothies may be calling your name, but we often don’t realize how many hundreds of calories we’re slurping up. Look up nutrition facts for your favorite beverages, or better yet, stick to water.

4. Substitute with high-protein foodThe health benefits of protein are no secret. Protein keeps you feeling full longer and helps build muscle. While still maintaining a balanced diet, replace some of your food with high-protein substitutes. Instead of buying regular Yoplait yogurt, switch to Chobani 100-calorie Greek yogurt. Not only is this yogurt low in calories, but it’s also loaded with 12 grams of protein in one container. Before you head out for class in the morning, grab a Greek yogurt from your mini fridge. Also, you may think you’re being healthy by eating dried fruit, but most dried fruit packages are loaded with artificial sugar on top of the natural fruit sugar. Ditch the dried fruit, and eat some real fruit. For a snack, try an apple paired with Jiff whipped peanut butter, which has a lighter consistency and fewer calories than regular peanut butter. Heading to class and need something to eat on the go? Put down the Quaker Chewy granola bars, and try a Luna bar. Although granola bars seem appealing with their 100-calorie label, most are loaded with sugar and saturated fats. Luna bars are higher in calories but also higher in protein, keeping you feeling full longer than a standard granola bar.

5. Beware of late-night snacks. After a fun Saturday night at Midtown, we’re all drawn to the mouthwatering image of pepperoni pizza, Kraft macaroni and cheese or Midnight Cookies right before going to bed. You may feel like this secret meal won’t count since you’re eating so late, but time does not affect calories. Do you really need the extra 700 calories settling in your stomach while you sleep? If you are hungry during these late hours, settle for a handful of almonds. Not only do these nuts help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease, but they are also high in protein and can actually help you sleep according to Women’s Daily.

The start of your freshman year is undoubtedly a stressful time accompanied with many changes in your daily schedule, eating habits and exercise rituals. Don’t let these changes – and the infamous Freshman 15 – get the best of you! Stay active and healthy, collegiettes™!

Photo credits: Neogaf.comRecsports.ufl.edu  Hivehealthmedia.comTheimpulsivebuy.comInlifehealthcare.com