The Do’s & Don’ts of Soaking Up the Sun

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

The time has finally come to start hitting the beach and enjoy long summer days. Before spending your entire day at the beach to achieve that “perfect” summer tan, consider that too much sun is never a good idea. If there’s two things you can’t forget to do it’s to wear sunscreen and to moisturize.

Wear SPF

I think everyone can agree when I say that putting on sunscreen is the most annoying part of going to the beach. However, it is definitely the most important thing to do. Why? Let me give you the lowdown. SPF stands for Sun Protection Factor, which is what is labeled on a sunscreen bottle. The higher the SPF, the more protection it offers against UVB rays, which are the ultraviolet rays that cause minor to severe sunburns.

If you thought that putting on sunscreen only once throughout the entire time that you’re exposed to the sun, think again. The sunscreen bottle may claim that it’s water resistant, but not after a few hours, rubbing against a towel or physical activity. This is why you should reapply sunscreen every hour that you are laying out in the sun. Also, just because it’s overcast doesn’t mean you won’t get burnt. The best thing to do when planning a beach day and considering the sun is to either get there after noon when the sun isn’t as powerful, or go somewhere for lunch to give your skin a break.

Pro Tip: Check the Weather app on your phone for the day’s UV Ray Index: the higher the number, the higher risk you are of getting burnt.

Moisturize

Nothing is worse than finally getting tan and losing it because you forgot to moisturize and began to peel. This is a step that’s always forgotten, but is extremely crucial for both maintaining the tan you worked towards, and for preventing premature wrinkles. The best way to moisturize after the sun is not with cream, it’s with oil! Your skin will absorb the oil and you’ll be glowing in no time.

Pro Tip: Get yourself a sunscreen and moisturizer combination and wear it every day, not just when going to the beach.

Now that you’re educated on summer skincare, don’t forget what’s important the next time you hit the beach!

Photo Credits: Pinterest