55?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
55?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

DIY Yummy (and Cheap!) Snacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you know how addicting ordering food online can be. I can’t even begin to tell you how many nights I’ve spent listening to my parents yell at me about how much of my paychecks go toward delivery services like Uber Eats, Bite Squad and DoorDash (I’m sure most college students can relate). 

Because I live with three other people, I’ve had to get a little creative when it comes to making food for myself while also maximizing the minimal space I have in our communal fridge and pantry. Grocery shopping, while being an essential part of my biweekly routine, has become a challenge: How can I buy everything I need while simultaneously making sure it fits in the space I have and also being able to carry it from my car (I street park two blocks away from my complex)? 

Here are some creations I’ve concocted for curing those late-night cravings that will help you save time (and money)!

Pretzels and Chocolate Chips

Literally as easy as it sounds. I’m a huge fan of Pretzel Crisps (their original flavor works best for this, but I do love their buffalo and sesame flavors) and Trader Joe’s semi-sweet chocolate chips. Get a big bowl and add equal amounts of both snacks. I personally like to add more chocolate chips, but that’s just me. The salty-sweet combo is perfect because it’s satisfying, filling and cheap. 

Cucumbers and Cream Cheese

This one comes with a funny story: I first saw it on an episode of iCarly when Freddie’s mom made the snack for Spencer, and he ended up throwing it across the room. I swear it’s not gross at all. I was genuinely curious about what it tasted like and after making it myself, I was instantly hooked.

It is my philosophy that anything involving cucumbers will always taste good. Another bonus snack (number 2.5) I have for you is to slice them up, add in some soy sauce and sprinkle sesame seeds on top. This is perfect for whenever I’m craving sushi, but I don’t have any extra cash to spend. It’s almost like a deconstructed sushi roll minus the rice!

Apples and Peanut Butter

I find that most nut / cookie butters go with essentially anything (Trader Joe’s cookie butter works, too). If you put all your favorite mixed berries in a blender, add in a butter of your choice, some flax seed, yogurt and ice, you get a yummy and nutritious smoothie. I’m a big fan of DIY smoothies. Most of the time, if I’m having it for breakfast, I’ll add in an extra banana or another scoop of flaxseed to make it more filling and keep me focused until it’s time for lunch.

So, there you have it. While these ideas and recipes may be simple, I hope they still keep you full and help you save money.

Alejandra is a fourth-year journalism and education sciences double major at the University of Florida. A self-described grammar and writing nerd, she loves reading and editing the work of others and helping them in their writing process. She's also extremely passionate about climate issues and human rights. When she's not editing for HC UFL or doing school work, you can almost always find her trying a new recipe, working out, watching a movie, or reading!