Dishes ‘n’ DIYs: How to Spice Up Boring Wall Decorations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

When you arrive at your new dorm or apartment, you are supposed to be thinking about how to organize everything and how to get ready for the semester. But let’s be honest — most of us are thinking about how we are going to decorate. In most dorms and apartments, there is plenty of wall space that is prime for decorating in a way that will make your new living space feel like home.

Last year, I bought little stick-on wall decorations in the shape of butterflies to decorate the wall in my dorm. It looked cute in the dorm, but this year, in an apartment, the butterflies just looked flat and boring.

So how do we spice up these decorations? Here are a number of different ways:

1. Try putting your wall decors on somewhere other than the wall, such as a lamp, refrigerator or the television.

This is such an easy way to make that cheap lamp from Target a little cuter.

2. Jazz up your door.

3. Stack your decorations on top of one another on the wall to create different shapes.

In this photo, I arranged the butterflies to look sort of like a plant, but the options are endless. You can make a pattern like stripes or form a shape like a heart.

4. Finally, just try sprucing up the decorations themselves. Paint them a different color, cover them with glitter or glue beads on them. In the picture below, I used reinforcement labels to create cute polka dots.

So cute and easy!

These techniques can work for any stick-on wall decorations you have, not just these butterfly ones. You can find wall decorations similar to these at stores like Wal-Mart, Hobby Lobby or Kohl’s. Just find some of these decorations, get creative and have fun! Your living space with start feeling cozy and homey in no time.

Her Campus UFL Blogger
Victoria is a junior journalism major at the University of Florida. As a writer for Her Campus, she enjoyed writing about fashion and giving advice to readers. She is currently a senior editor of Her Campus UFL and is in training to become the chapter's next Campus Correspondent. Outside of class and Her Campus, you can find Victoria scoping out cute boys with friends, longboarding around campus, or hanging out with her Alpha Omicron Pi sisters. She enjoys traveling to new cities, spending time outside, drinking toffee nut iced coffees, shopping, trying new types of food and working for Her Campus!