Dishes ‘n’ DIYs: How to Roast Pumpkin Seeds (And 10 Yummy Ways to Flavor Them)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Fall is officially here when— pumpkin patches are popping up and Publix has set up their bins of pumpkins outside. Next time you’re stopping by (let’s be honest, we’re at Publix at least once a week) grab a pumpkin and get ready to roast up some crunchy, tasty pumpkin seeds. You can make them sweet, salty, spicy, zesty and any other way you can imagine. Below, learn how to prep the seeds and flavor them different ways.

How to prep the seeds:

After you’ve taken out all the insides of your pumpkin (if you don’t know how to get this far see this), turn to the seeds, and start separating them from the orange goop. After you’ve gotten as much out as you can, put the seeds into a colander and rinse out the rest. Now, the seeds are ready for seasoning.

Seasoning:

The base of all of these flavors is olive oil (or a pinch of canola). Drizzle about a tablespoon on your seeds, then add the seasonings to taste:

1. Sweet and Spicy — brown sugar, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.

2. Indian — turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, honey, salt and pepper.

3. Asian — orange zest, soy sauce, ginger and honey.

4. Italian — garlic powder, dried parmesan, oregano, salt and pepper.

5. Spicy — chili powder, cayenne, lime zest, salt and pepper.

6. Honey Roasted — honey, cinnamon, brown sugar and a dash of salt.

7. Ranch — ranch seasoning packet, plus a little paprika, salt and pepper.

8. Pizza — parmesan cheese, basil, oregano, salt, garlic powder.

9. Dill Pickle — white vinegar, dill, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

10. Salt and Pepper — the classic: salt and pepper.

Cooking the seeds:

After you’ve tossed the seeds in the seasoning, spread them on a pan and cook at 250 degrees for an hour and a half, stirring every 20 minutes.

You can cook your whole batch as one flavor, or split it up to try out any combo of these fun flavors. Next time you need to plan a girls night or are just bored on a Tuesday, pick up a pumpkin and make a delicious, healthy snack.

Photo credits: thebestthingieverateandthensome.wordpress.com