Cooking for the Clueless Collegiete

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

When I came to college, I knew how to cook three things: scrambled eggs, mac and cheese (from the box) and my signature ramen noodles. Even those were hit or miss: I once ended up burning pizza rolls because I forgot to turn off the stove top when I took them out of the oven, and I burned popcorn so badly in the dorm lounge that the smell never left. I used to joke that I’d never be able to cook, but I realized that not only is cooking an essential life skill, but it’s also fun.

Now, I’ve expanded my meal list, and while I can’t claim to be an expert in any way, I want to share some tips for those of you out there who are struggling to boil water. This guide will be broken down by food item with a little list of tricks under each one.

Seasoning

Rule number one of cooking: Do not be afraid of seasonings. If you’ve ever made something and wondered why it just doesn’t taste nearly as good as the restaurant, I’m going to wager that you didn’t add any seasonings. Seasonings add flavor and zest to simple dishes, and a little pinch of something can make a total difference.

Basic Essentials: Salt, pepper, garlic powder, Italian Seasoning blend

Expanded: Cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes (if you like spicy), paprika, white pepper, parsley, adobo seasoning, ground ginger

Things that aren’t spices but are good to have on hand: olive oil, soy sauce, sesame oil, cornstarch, garlic cloves (You can get pre-minced ones in a jar!)

Eggs

For scrambled eggs, crack the eggs in a bowl, and whisk them with a fork. Now’s the time to add seasoning. Salt and pepper is a good starting point, but adding a pinch of garlic powder or cayenne pepper (depending on whether you want a pinch of savoury or spicy) makes the flavor pop.

For creamy eggs, add butter to the mix and beat it in.

If you want to add ingredients to the eggs (e.g. spinach, mushrooms, peppers, cheese), now is a good time! Make sure they are cut up in small enough chunks to mix into the egg.

You’re going to want to preheat the frying pan with olive oil and then pour the egg mixture in once it heats up. For a flatter, omelette-style egg, let it sit for a bit before flipping it over with a spatula. For mixed-up eggs, continuously run your spatula through the egg mix.

Mac and Cheese

If you’re using boxed mac and cheese, pepper will go a long way. You can also add broccoli or spinach to the macaroni while boiling it if you want to get some vegetables in. Mix in some cubed ham or cut up bacon – make sure it’s cooked – after adding the cheese.

Pasta

First of all, please heat up your canned pasta sauce. My boyfriend used to dump the cold pasta sauce on his cooked pasta, and unless you’re pressed for time, please love yourself and heat up that pasta sauce.

A cool trick my dad taught me is to heat it up in a frying pan instead of a pot. Put a little olive oil and garlic in the bottom of the pan, and put it on a low-medium fire. Pour the canned sauce into the pan. I recommend seasoning it with some salt, pepper, Italian blend and a pinch of paprika. If you like spicy food, add some red pepper flakes. For the most part, you can let this sit and simmer, although if it starts heating up too much, turn the stove off and let it rest.

When boiling the pasta, add a little olive oil and salt to the water so that the pasta is more flavorful.

Want to add some easy protein to a pasta dish? If you’re a seafood fan, artificial crab meat (the kind that comes in a little bag at the seafood section) is amazing. Just toss some chunks in with the sauce and voila! Quick and easy seafood pasta. Alternatively, fry up some shrimp (or get the precooked kind) and add to the sauce.

Stir-Fry

Season your meat before you cook it. A good and easy marinade can be made of soy sauce, white pepper, salt, pepper and garlic powder. (If you want spicy, cayenne pepper works well here.) Rub that on the meat you intend to use, and add some cornstarch (just a teaspoon or so). Keep that in a bowl, and wrap it up with saran wrap to put in the fridge. Keep that marinating for at least half-an-hour.

Heat up a frying pan with the oil of your choice and some garlic, and dump the meat in there. Keep it on high, and cook till the meat is cooked all the way through. Serve with rice and vegetables.

Vegetables

An easy and delicious way to make vegetables is to heat them up on a frying pan. Pour some olive oil in before, and heat it up with garlic before putting the desired amount of vegetables. Frozen vegetables are easy to keep and to cook! Season them with salt, pepper, some more olive oil and garlic powder. Lower the heat as they start to defrost, then put a lid over the pan to trap the moisture.

To complement a stir-fry, add some sesame oil and soy sauce! Just a little touch of each will do.

Salmon

Cooking fish seems intimidating, but it’s super fulfilling. I normally get a fillet of salmon and then place it in a tray. I season it with olive oil, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, adobo and paprika. Make sure to really rub the seasoning in. Preheat the oven to 425, and let the fish sit and soak up the marinade.

Pop the fish inside the oven, and cook for 15 minutes. Take it out, and use a fork to check if it is cooked. Cook longer at your discretion.

Serve with rice or quinoa and some vegetables!

Hopefully these tips will help you move on from the days of instant ramen and frozen T.V. dinners!

Petrana Radulovic is a senior studying English and Computer Science. She hopes to be a writer someday and live in the Pacific Northwest, where she will undoubtedly divide her time between sipping coffee at a local café and sipping coffee in her living room, working on her latest story. She enjoys singing when she thinks she’s the only person at home, obsessively watching America’s Next Top Model, and wearing all black no matter what the weather. In her future, she sees many cats and many books and many mugs. She is currently the Senior Editor for HerCampus UFL, but writes the occasional article because she can't help herself. This is her sixth semester with HerCampus.