nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Combating Procrastination: A College Student’s Worst Enemy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

At this point in the spring semester, I’d say we are really just trying to survive it. The stress from school and upcoming finals, and finding a last minute internship or summer job is at its peak because we are almost out of time. However, it is a lot easier to put off our responsibilities rather than doing what we told ourselves we were going to get done that day. Procrastination is my middle name, so I decided to ask some fellow Gators on how they stay on track and beat the procrastination. Here are a few tips I picked up:

1. Invest in a nice planner

If you do not already have one, using a quality planner rather than a cheap one will prompt you to actually use it. It’s pretty common to make a to do list and write in your planner. The hard part is actually being productive and getting stuff done. So here is what you should do, so you can cross those items off your list.

2. Start with the small stuff

You may have heard that you should get the hardest thing over with first, but if you plan to start with the hardest item on your list, you are likely to put it off. So, begin with something easy to get the ball rolling, and once you have actually sat down to do some work, you will gain the confidence to take on the harder items on your list.

3. Reward yourself

After you accomplish something difficult on your list, treat yourself with something small. For example, a Netflix episode, paint your nails, go for a workout, have your favorite Starbucks coffee drink or even something as simple as a nap.

4. Write a time log

If you struggle with staying on task, write out exactly how much time you will spend on each item on your list. Giving yourself a limited about of time will most likely force you to work faster and then you can check more items of your list.

We’re almost there; if you’ve made it this far (especially you seniors), you can definitely push through what’s coming for finals, and be able to make grades while maintaining sanity. This is the University of Florida, after all, and we are Gators!

Photo Credit: healthline.com, belindaselene.com

Features writer and videographer Taylor is a third-year public relations major and this is her first semester with Her Campus UFL. Taylor just transferred from LSU where she played on their beach volleyball team so she is super pumped to finally be a Florida Gator. Since moving to the ville, you can find Taylor either at SWR playing beach volleyball, blogging at Starbucks or staying up too late in midtown. This Summer Taylor is studying abroad with the J-school in Greece and London and then backpacking across Europe. You can follow her blog at sunsandvolley.wordpress.com and on Instagram @taytayyy28