College Road Trip 101: The Bama Weekend Checklist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Waking up the morning of the annual football game road trip is comparable to one thing and one thing only: Christmas morning. This road trip happens only once a year — maybe twice if you turn the Florida-Georgia rivalry game into a reason to head up to Jacksonville — but it is easily the most wonderful time of the year. This year’s Gator road trip takes us to Tuscaloosa, Ala., home of the Crimson Tide. Here’s a list of everything you need to bring to make those Alabamians start saying “Roll Gators Roll.”

1. Gameday attire You can take a girl out of The Swamp, but you can’t take The Swamp out of the girl. Just because you won’t be cheering on your favorite football team in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium doesn’t mean you shouldn’t still rock an outfit full of orange and blue. Make sure you show your Gator pride in a cute blue skater dress with a hip orange statement necklace. And, of course, your “Beat Alabama” pin!

2. The practicals It’s easy to forget all the practical items when you’re packing for a weekend like this. But making sure you have a phone charger, lots of sunscreen and enough pairs of undies will help make sure your mini vacation goes off without a hitch. If you can, pack a portable phone charger too. That way you can keep checking Instagram and Twitter without having to worry about your phone dying.

3. Your collegiette™ friends One of the reasons road trip is so special is because you’re sharing it with friends. Recruit three of your closest gal pals to come with you, and it’ll be three times the fun. Someone once said, “You shouldn’t do anything you can’t tell your best friends about,” but a road trip is the perfect chance to do those unspeakable things with your best pals by your side.

4. Stamina Road trip weekend is one of nonstop fun. Bring some 5-hour ENERGY, some Airborn and a whole lot of Red Bull. This road trip is not about sleeping in and relaxing; it’s about getting out there and experiencing the culture of Tuscaloosa. Saturday is a long gameday, and the eight-hour bus ride is no joke either. It’ll be one of the best weekends of your entire semester, but you’ll be exhausted by the end of it, be sure to rest up beforehand.

Road trip weekend is a time to bond with your friends and cheer on the Gators. Football, friends and heaps of fun — what more could you want? Remember to stay safe, and go Gators!

Photo credit: Greggestblog.com