This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

The school year is coming to an end and with that many clubs have released applications and announced elections for the fall semester. There’s an importance placed on the extracurricular activities we’re a part of in college because of they can upgrade our resume. Many of the clubs we choose to take part in are because of how we think they can help our resume instead of us having a strong interest in doing them. Sometimes the commitment is low and there isn’t an effect on your life after class but other times these clubs can feel like another class. How are we to decide if it’s worth joining the club for another semester when the main reason we’re a part of it is because its ability to help us get a job?

Reflect on your feelings

Take some time to think about your experience in the organization. How did you feel sitting in the meetings every week? Did you feel any sense of enjoyment or was it only boredom? Were the people in the organization people you connected with? If you made any friends during your time in the club, that’s an important thing to consider. It could entail possible improved experiences in the club the following semester. At the same time, life is hard and stressful, so what you do in your spare time should give you a spark of joy. The potential things you can gain are not worth your emotional well-being. If you’re struggling because of the goal of your club is something you feel really passionate about, but you hate the people, then you might need to make the decision to leave. I understand this is a hard decision to make, but it’s hard to work with people towards a goal if you don’t feel welcomed by them.

Does it actually improve your skills?

If you joined a club because it can potentially help you improve skills that are necessary for your career, then you need to make sure that you’re gaining them. There’s no point in spending time in an organization that you find little joy in when it fails in being a footstep in your career. Create a list of everything you have learned or improved in because of the club. If the list shows that you’ve gained no more than three skills, then really reconsider if the club is essential to you looking like a great potential employee. There might be another club on campus that aims to give you the skill you’re looking for as well, so look into joining that one instead for next semester. You could reach out to the leaders in the organization to ask how they accomplish their goal in improving your skills and compare it to how your previous club did it.

Time commitment

We’re very busy in college. With class, homework, internships, work, socializing and clubs we barely have time to eat and sleep. If we’re going to add anything to our busy schedules, then we should make it have value. Value comes from what it provides us like skills, socialization and enjoyment. If every weekly meeting feels like a drag, then don’t feel pressure to stay another semester. Time is a currency in our life, so if you think it’s being wasted because of the clubs you’re in, then quit. There are hundreds of clubs on campus with different ideas and people that will be a better fit for you.

Deciding if we want to continue on in a club can be a stressful decision. We don’t want to feel like we’re giving up or making a mistake, so we might just decide to stick it out another semester. Don’t feel pressure to stay in an organization that doesn’t make you feel excited to be a part of. Even if the club gives you the skills your career requires, if you can’t talk about it with passion, then it defeats its ability to help you in the job application process. When interviewing, the interviewer wants someone who is passionate about what they’re doing. If there isn’t anything in your resume where you can show that passion, then the club you stayed in because of the skills you gained won’t be worth it. Clubs are a place to find a community, and at the University of Florida, they’re essential to finding a place in a huge school. Make the decision that fits you the best.

Racheal Jones is a senior at the University of Florida studying Sociology. She's completed research on family violence and is currently working on a new research project. She loves Marvel movies, sapphic fantasy novels and Taylor Swift. Outside of school, she's learning how to roller skate, take care of her plants and rock climb.