Caroline’s Favorite Things: Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner on University Avenue!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

To depart from my usual advice on organization or style, I thought it might be fun to talk about one of my favorite things: food. You might find it surprising that Alachua County cuisine involves more than just fast food chains. There are some hidden gems all around Gainesville, and I know I have only scraped the surface in my attempts to find them. To keep things easy, here are a few restaurants located right on University Avenue that you can visit for a yummy meal when you’re tired of the typical Chick-fil-A run.

Breakfast at Ivey’s Grill 
From the outside it may not look like much, but on the inside Ivey’s Grill is an eclectic space with a bangin’ breakfast menu! Coming from someone that is not crazy about eating eggs, I highly recommend ordering an egg breakfast from Ivey’s Grill. Their menu ranges from omelets and pancakes to frittatas and “smoked salmon scramble(s).” Leaving without a side of their homemade buttermilk biscuits would be a disappointment because they are delicious! I’ve only eaten at Ivey’s twice, but both times I’ve left with that satisfied feeling of enjoying a meal that is both hearty and home-made healthy. First timers, don’t be disheartened if the wait seems a little long. Make sure to order some OJ or coffee if you are stomach-grumbling hungry because homemade really does mean homemade here. This is a great place to bring your parents because the extra time taken to prepare your meal is perfect for appreciating the restaurant’s original artwork and catching up with your family! Trust me, it will be worth the wait.

Lunch at Burrito Brothers 
Talk about hidden gems, Burrito Brothers restaurant really is hidden! Located behind the Baptist church on University Avenue, Burrito Brothers is quite literally a hole-in-the-wall burrito joint that is — are you ready? — better than Chipotle! Don’t believe me? Try it for yourself! UF Alumni always seem to get a touch of nostalgia when they talk about this student-worshipped lunch place. There is nothing fancy about their food. It is just simple and delicious Tex-Mex chow. If you haven’t already discovered Burrito Brothers, I highly recommend you check it out because it truly is quintessential Gainesville wrapped up in a flour tortilla! Oh, and don’t leave without adding a side of guacamole to anything you order! I promise there is an entire cult of Burrito Brothers followers that can back me up on this. 

Dinner at Bistro 1245 
Of all the places I have mentioned, Bistro 1245 is the one I most frequently visit. Although it is great for either lunch or dinner, I most appreciate their hipster atmosphere at night. As the sun goes down and the temperature drops, this indoor-outdoor restaurant is a perfect dinner date for two. Their walls are adorned with the many awards they’ve won for their original menu and use of fresh ingredients. So fresh, that often my boyfriend and I are disappointed to find that they are “out” of certain ingredients like hummus or pesto. While at first I might be disheartened, I’ve actually come to appreciate the popularity and freshness of their dishes that causes them to run out so quickly. Not to mention, there is literally nothing on their menu I would not devour. My favorites include their butternut squash soup, bruschetta appetizer, and chicken pesto pasta. Recently, my boyfriend and I actually left room for a little desert and got to savor their vanilla bean crème brulee. And yes, it did taste as good as it sounds.

I hope some of you are encouraged to go on an eating adventure and try out some new restaurants! Even if you’ve already visited these restaurants or they don’t seem to fit your style, maybe try going for a drive down 13th street until you hit something that looks exciting! Grab a friend or a date and make it a crazy Friday night dinner!

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.