yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
Style > Beauty

The Best Sunscreens for Fall Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Even though it’s fall, the Sunshine State’s sun is unforgiving. So, if you’re planning on skipping your daily sunscreen use in the fall, make sure you don’t mind looking like a tomato for the next few months.

Many people believe that wearing sunscreen is only beneficial during the hotter months of the year, but it’s equally important to wear it during the fall when the temperatures drop.

The American Academy of Dermatology recommends wearing sunscreen every day if you plan on being outside.

Not only will wearing sunscreen shield your skin from early sagging and wrinkles, but it can also prevent skin cancer. Although many believe that darker skin can’t get skin cancer, this is actually false. Skin cancer doesn’t discriminate between race, age and gender.

There are many available sunscreen options, including creams, gels and sprays. With decreasing temperatures, it is best to apply cream that can moisturize your skin. It’s tricky to find the perfect sunscreen that protects against UVA and UVB rays, and one that acts as a moisturizer.

Here are some of my favorite products to use for this weather. 

Origins A Perfect World

Although this cream is a moisturizer, it is SPF 40 and protects you sufficiently from harmful UV rays.

Apart from being an effective sun protector, it has an incredible smell.

It’s made of a white tea infused formula and doesn’t leave an oily residue.

Apply this moisturizer to a clean face in the morning and take on the sunshine.

Neutrogena Oil Free Facial Moisturizer Sunscreen

Neutrogena’s lines have always been a favorite for drugstore beauty enthusiasts.

Their oil-free moisturizer functions as a sunscreen.

This product works best for normal, dry or combination.

I also recommend applying it on your skin several times a day, preferably every two hours for those with dry skin.

Supergoop! Superscreen Daily Moisturizer

Supergoop! is a well-known brand specific for those dedicated to sun care.

Their sunscreen moisturizer offers SPF 40 and hydration that shields your skin from UV rays and pollution.

It’s also vegan, cruelty-free and gluten-free. For best results, apply the cream to your face and neck before makeup.

Sun Bum Oxy Free Zinc Oxide Sunscreen Lotion

Sun Bum’s sunscreen lotion is a cheaper alternative to the Supergoop! sunscreen, but it’s also cruelty-free and vegan.

It works great on sensitive skin and doesn’t leave an oily finish.

If you plan on hitting the pool, this sunscreen is your go-to. It is water-resistant and can leave you swimming without worry for up to 80 minutes.

It’s best to massage the formula onto your skin in the morning or fifteen minutes before going out into the sun.

Colorescience Sunforgettable

This sunscreen makes its way to the list for its creative design.

The “brush-on” technology makes it easy to carry and perfect for sun defense packing when traveling.

It comes in four different shades and provides sheer coverage.

The water resistant powder is easy to apply to the neck, face and ears.

This season, let’s try to keep our sunscreen out of the back of our makeup drawers.

There are several  sunscreens available that suit everyone’s needs. But, as always, it’s ideal to ask your dermatologist to figure out what works best for your skin.

Jana is a graduate from the University of Florida with a degree in biology and a certificate in Spanish. She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, entertainment, the environment and everything in between.