Puppy Hand Fun Ring Summer Hapy Original
Charlotte Reader / Her Campus

Animal Adoptions Rise This Back-to-School Session

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

As college students start a new phase of life, more and more young adults are opening their hearts to a new furry friend through adoption and fostering.

In recent years, there has been a growing number of people using animals as a form of stress relief. According to WebMD, “Seventy-four percent of pet owners say their mental health has improved because of animals.”

The Humane Society of North Central Florida has taken in 1,102 dogs this year and has had a live-release rate of 98.99%.

“The process [of fostering] was really easy. We really just emailed them, and they told us when to come pick up the kittens. They came with a litter box, food, treats, toys, and then deworming medication that we had to give them for the first three days,” said second-year University of Florida student Clare Meyers.

Local business Feline Good Cat Café has partnered with the Humane Society to include cats that can be adopted at the store. Customers are given the opportunity to play with the cats and, if they decide, adopt or foster them as early as the next day. 

“When I went to the cat cafe, I fell in love with the adorable kittens and asked my roommates that night if we could fill out the paperwork to foster a kitten,” said first-year computer-science major Sonia Rodriguez. 

However, taking care of an animal comes with a lot of responsibility; there is more one should consider than the cuteness of an animal before they make the commitment to take care of another living being.

Being a broke college student is more than just a stereotype. Not only will one have to balance costs for his or herself but his or her future pet, too. Pets require food, water and medical care, which adds up quickly. The average veterinarian bill can be around $100 to $150. 

Animals also require a lot of time – something some busy college students have trouble finding even for self-care. Between balancing school, work, friends and mental-health, some might not have the ability to give an animal the attention it needs.

“Fostering is a great way to help local shelters and to also just see what it’s like to own a cat without that long-term commitment, but I wouldn’t recommend fostering young kittens unless you had that prior experience,” said Meyers.

Animals have helped people in more ways than one, such as emotionally and mentally, but we must ensure that they too receive the unconditional love they give us.

Hello I am Emma! I am a first-year journalism student at the University of Florida. I love sports, reading and watching Gilmore Girls.