7 Things That Happen During Application Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

In case you haven’t noticed, it’s application season. From organizations on campus opening up their membership applications to companies across the world opening up their internship applications, you’re probably getting used to typing out your major, GPA and other personal information like it’s second nature by now. While putting yourself out there and applying to different opportunities is amazing, it can also be a long and emotionally exhausting process. In this article, I’ve broken all the craziness that is the application process into the seven stages of applying to a position.

1. Seeing that the form is out

This is the most exciting stage. You find out that your dream company is looking for summer interns and you eagerly start typing away! You feel optimistic and confident. This role was practically made for you and you totally think you’ve got this position in the bag!

2. Filling out the form

Oh no, they’re asking those terrible questions. Should you answer that your greatest weakness is actually a spun-around positive trait or do you tell the truth and say that you frequently show up late to class and fall asleep at your desk? Questions buzz through your mind like, “Is my answer too short?” or “How do I make my application stand out among the thousands of submissions?” Help!

3. Submitting the form

So, you’ve filled out the application and it’s ready to go. Now all that’s left to do it press the submit button. I don’t know why, but pressing that submit button always seems a bit more difficult than it should. There’s no turning back now! This stage also comes with a feeling of relief because once you press the button, the form is out of your hands and you’ve done all that you could do.

4. The Waiting Game

Tick tock, tick tock. Your form has been turned in, so at this point, whatever will happen will happen. Now all you can do is sit and wait (and anxiously check your email ten times a day).

5. Round Two

You get an email with the subject line “Congratulations!” so you think you got the position and you jump for joy! But then you read the fine print, and… wait, now there’s an in-person interview. It’s time to suit up once again and complete the second round of interviews. Your anxiety is at an all-time high and the stakes are even higher. 

6. You Got It!

After what feels like years of waiting, you finally find out that you have gotten the position. A weight is lifted off your shoulders and you’re so happy you could scream (or maybe you already did). Once you get over the initial thrill, you need to think about logistics and make plans to attend meetings or make whatever arrangements necessary. Good Job! You did it!

7. You Didn’t Get It

Unfortunately, not everything in life will go your way and sometimes you will get an email with news that is not so pleasant. Finding out that you didn’t get a position can often be very upsetting, but the most important part of this stage is what happens when you come to terms with the rejection.

Rejection (personally, professionally or in any part of life for that matter) is hard. It is something that is difficult to deal with no matter what age you are or what you were aiming for. I can tell you from personal experience that I have had my share of rejections and each one has given my ego a knock. However, what you must remember through each rejection you encounter, is 1. You are allowed to be sad and you are allowed to be confused. It’s okay to inquire why you didn’t get the position and it’s okay to be upset, but… 2. Your sadness cannot and will not last forever. You have to remember that you are not defined by your failures, but by all of your successes and the things that you do achieve.

I know this is easier said than done, but when faced with rejection, you have to pick yourself up, put yourself out there and try again because there is a club, an internship and a job for everyone out there. I am a true believer that everything happens for a reason and that all of my rejections have made me that much stronger and have led me to where I am today. My wish for everyone out there who may be applying to something right now is that you put your heart and soul into those positions that you are most passionate about, and that you handle each outcome, whether acceptance or rejection, with poise and resilience. You got this!

Just a Soflo girl who loves Chipotle and dreams of life in The Big Apple
Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.