The 7 Stages of Procrastination While Studying for Exams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

It’s a familiar scenario. You’re sitting in Library West, far from the hustle and bustle of the student body, in a small corner by yourself. Starbucks drink in hand, you prepare yourself for a long night of productivity and studying. You take small sips for the steady caffeine doses, and arm yourself with notebooks, pens and highlighters. Just as you start getting in the zone, your phone screen lights up with a Facebook notification. It’s all downhill from there. Here are seven ways you self-sabotage your study plans.

1. You clicked on Facebook just to see who’s logged on, and you end up lurking on your friends’ profiles a bit too long.

You were creeping for about 15 minutes too long, but who’s that cute guy in your friend’s picture? Well, I guess you just have to stalk him, too. And his cute twin brother. And the rest of his family.

2. Then you found a Her Campus article that popped up on your Facebook feed.

That’ll definitely kill all your study plans for the rest of the night because reading about our reactions to Zayn’s departure from 1D is still all you can think about.

3. You also took a Buzzfeed quiz on what kind of Disney princess you are…

… because it’s important to know what kind of songs you’ll sing in the Disney universe.

4. Once you’ve done that, you know the next step in your sabotage strategy is obviously Tumblr.

There is simply no way a night of studying can be wasted without going on Tumblr and reading all the sweet fashion blogs.

5. You logged on to Twitter to tweet at your best friends and see what your favorite celebs are doing.

Then you try to remind yourself that you’ve got a paper due in two hours.

6. You like your friends’ pictures on Instagram and post a selfie of you at the Lib West with a witty caption. 

Obviously you use the hashtags #studying #finalsweek #teamnosleep #clubgoinuponaTuesday

7.Then you decide it’s time to do something remotely related to studying, so you create the perfect study playlist on Spotify.

Well, that’s another hour gone, but now you have a great playlist to listen to!

It’s only when your eyes stray to the clock on the side of your screen that you realize you’ve spent two hours procrastinating your night away. While you feel like you’ve exhausted every possible thing to do on the Internet, your physics homework and history paper will not complete themselves. Happy studying, collegiettes!

Alexia Fernandez is a senior at the University of Florida. A journalism major, she has been interested in films, books and pop culture since she can remember. An avid film buff, she hopes to one day write screenplays, make films and tell stories through as many mediums as possible.