6 Things to Remember this Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

We don’t always think with the future in mind, but at this point in our lives, we really need to. Everything done in our personal lives can directly affect how well our professional ones will go. Summer is a time where many of us fall off the wagon; with that in mind, let’s fix up out personal lives now to ensure our professional futures.

Here are six things to remember this summer:

Clean up your social media
Facebook and Twitter are great for keeping up with friends and news, but remember that with a little bit of effort, anyone can see what you post. Be mindful of the content you share and the opinions you express. Your online persona must reflect your core values and moral standards. Be careful, and be classy. That picture of the formal you went to wasted? NO. The picture of you at the awards banquet with the dean of your college? YES.

Drink Water
The easiest thing you can do for your health is drink water. Water comprises 70 percent of your body, so make sure it stays that way. When you’re finally in the workplace, keeping hydrated will keep you from hitting the 3 p.m. slump. Being energetic when everyone else is falling asleep will make you shine.

Wardrobe
When you’re out shopping with your ladies, think about what you’re buying. A new frat tank or bikini will be great for the summer, but you can’t wear it to your summer job or internship. Instead of spending a butt-load of money when you finally get your dream job, start picking up professional pieces as you go along. Instead of new jeans, get a pencil skirt. Do you really need new $40 flip-flops or can you get some cute, functional flats for work? Plan for success, and you will reach it.

Early to bed, early to rise  
College gives us the beautiful chance to sleep in, stay up late and nap all the time. Sadly, when we get to the real world (in our case, summer jobs and internships), we may be up at 6 a.m. or running around at 2 a.m., who knows? In order to get yourself used to that type of life, go to bed early. Although it may be tempting to sleep until noon, getting used to waking up early will give you more time to get stuff done.

Keep a planner 
We’re used to keeping a datebook for classes and assignments, but it’s a good idea to do it for your everyday plans. If you’re going out of town with your boyfriend, keep it written down. This will lead to you keeping appointments and remembering your priorities in check. Keeping a planner will be good practice for keeping your work, home, and family life in order.

Read, read, read 
You might not feel like you have the time to read, but it’s worth your while to make the time for it. On your bus commute, instead of watching “What Would Ryan Lochte Do?” read an e-book on your phone. Reading will make you a forever-learner as well as give you a sharpened mind. Keep reading, and keep learning. As an added bonus, you’ll seem like the most educated person in the office!

Photo Credit
http://www.health-fitness.com.au 
http://www.effective-time-management-strategies.com/ 
http://static.guim.co.uk/ 
http://funny-pictures-blog.com/

Journalism major with a minor in education. Currently a copywriter for Infinite Energy. Twitter handle: @DiadysFig
Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.