6 Recipes for Your Friendsgiving That Don’t Include a Turkey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Thanksgiving is the time of year where families gather to eat, watch some football and just enjoy each other’s’ company. College students who can’t make it home for Thanksgiving have coined the term “Friendsgiving,” a Thanksgiving just for close friends. Most people celebrate Thanksgiving with a turkey, but in all honesty, I do not feel ready to cook a turkey without my grandmother’s supervision.

There are various turkey organs that need to be pulled out, stuffing that needs to be made and I can’t keep a close enough eye on the turkey to make sure it doesn’t become dry. If you are hosting a Friendsgiving this year, here are six recipes to try that don’t require that much attention or skill, which is my kind of recipe.

Sausage stuffing

Although stuffing is usually a Thanksgiving side dish, this recipe can stand as the bulk of your Friendsgiving. The main ingredients are turkey sausage, bread, apples and spices. This dish combines the savory of the sausage with the sweetness of the apples. The prep time is under an hour, and it can be made in advance and popped into the oven right before your guests come. Check out the full recipe here.

Jalepeño popper chicken

If you and your friends enjoy a little bit of a kick in your food, this is perfect for you. Stuffed chicken breasts look impressive, but they actually very easy to make. The prep time is ten minutes. Yes, ten minutes! The combination of the jalepeño, cheese, bacon, and chicken is enough to make anyone’s mouth water. The total time for this one is thirty minutes. Toss up a salad, make a dessert, and you’re done. Take a look at the full instructions here.

Baked ziti

This dish is a staple. It’s cheese, pasta, tomato sauce and more cheese. What could go wrong? If you have friends who are vegetarian, this is a perfect option. There are hundreds of baked ziti recipes, but they are all easy and quick to make. Pro tip: make the ziti in the morning, let it sit in the fridge and put it in right before your friends arrive for maximum flavor. Here are some of my favorite takes on baked ziti: baked ziti with three cheeses and baked ziti with spinach.

BBQ chickpea and cauliflower flatbreads

This recipe is a must for avocado toast-lovers. With less than ten ingredients, this one is simply and quick. It’s basically roasting vegetables and putting them on top of pita bread. If you are throwing a brunch-themed Friendsgiving, this one would really be amazing. It’s vegetarian and relatively healthy, a win-win. The full recipe is on Good Housekeeping.

Crock-Pot turkey meatballs

Nothing says stress-free like a Crock-Pot meal. If you do not own a Crock-Pot, I would highly recommend investing in one. You put the ingredients in the pot in the morning, and by dinner it’s ready to go. If you want to stick to the turkey theme, these meatballs are amazing. Prep time is thirty minutes, and in four hours, they are perfect. It’s a little bit of Italian for dinner — and who doesn’t like that? The recipe is here.

Quinoa black bean Crock-Pot stuffed peppers

This recipe might be my favorite. Stuffed peppers look like you are a domestic goddess, but they are secretly easy to assemble. This recipe is also vegetarian and good for you. You can customize this recipe with your favorite toppings as well. If you feel intimated, don’t worry, there’s a video tutorial here.

With some fun, food and friends, this Friendsgiving can be the best one yet. Which recipe will you try out first?

Courtney is a freshman majoring in History with a minor in Dance. This is her first semester writing for Her Campus UFL and she's so excited to have this opportunity! Courtney enjoys reading Jane Austen classics, traveling to new places all over the globe, and eating maybe too much Ben and Jerry's ice cream. She's a sister of Delta Nu Zeta, a service sorority on campus, and loves being able to help the community and grow as a proud member of the Gator Nation!