5 Tips for Being a Great Role Model

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

At this particular point in a collegiette’s life, on the bridge between being a teenager and being an adult, she is expected to be a role model of sorts. In college especially, with all the leadership, volunteering and organizational roles, mentorship is prevalent and sometimes expected. So what does it mean to be a mentor? What kind of expectations do mentees have? Here are five tips for being the best mentor possible.

1. Know your roleYou may be thrown into a position of mentorship, uncertain about what to do, but the bottom line is you have someone looking to you for guidance. Think of your time as a freshman or when you were new to an organization. What did you want from others? To be welcomed and accepted. This person is no different. He or she needs you to welcome and look out for them. It can be as simple as saying “don’t take these two classes together” or “always carry an umbrella in Gainesville.” The fact is you have knowledge this person could benefit from, so do not assume they know everything. Mentees need you. If you really don’t know what to do, ask your mentors!

2. Be presentIf you see your mentee at a meeting or around campus, go say hi to them! Just smile and wave and ask them how their day was because little things like this make all the difference. It’s easy to be awkward and not say anything while you both know the other is sitting just two rows away. It takes a mature mentor to brave that awkward chasm and be warm and welcoming. 

3. Be honestA mentee is going to want to know how you got to where you are. You’re older or more experienced than them and in some capacity, they want to emulate your success. You need to be honest with them. If a certain part of your journey has been extra difficult or lucky, let them know. Don’t give your mentee false expectations, but rather help them realistically see what it is like to get to where they want to be.

4. Be inclusiveI cannot stress this enough. Include your mentee in social outings, introduce him or her to your friend group, and take them to lunch! Your mentee is new to the organization, and they may be shy and may not even be having a good time. Do your best to make this mentee feel like they belong. This is one of the most powerful things you can do for them. If you don’t, you’ll probably lose them as a member of your organization.

5. Be caringMainly, your mentee just needs to know you care. No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care. You can give your mentee advice and guidance all semester, but if you do not take a personal interest in them and their pursuits, your relationship with them will be strictly formal. It will never turn into a productive or warm friendship.

Whether you think you’re an awkward, unprepared mentor or not, your mentee is counting on you to be a nice, helpful guide. And you don’t have to feel socially adept or prepared to be a good mentor in the first place! So give it your best attempt and if you feel like you’re floundering, ask for help from those you look up to.

Photo credit: www.tintup.com