5 Face Masks That Are Actually Earth-Friendly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

If you are anything like me, it can be a daunting task to find a face mask that loves my skin and is good for the earth as well. Many products can contain chemicals that can strip your skin of its natural oils, create bad breakouts and/or dry your skin out. I have naturally oily and acne-prone skin, so here are some eco-friendly face masks that have helped clear my skin up!

1. Fresh Umbrian Clay Purifying Mask

I recently got this mask by redeeming my Sephora points, and it has worked wonders for my skin. When I was it off, I can instantly feel how fresh and clean my face feels, and I can notice how even my skin tone looks. I try to use it every night before I go to bed and leave it on while I get some work done or watch Netflix. Although the green coloring may make you look like a monster, your skin will thank you. Fresh’s brand mission is centered around natural components to their products, and they are against testing in animals.

2. Farmacy Honey Potion Renewing Antioxidant Hydration Mask

If you are looking to reduce skin dryness or refine your fine lines and uneven skin tone, this is the mask for you. It’s on the pricey side, but if you only use it once or twice a week, it will last you a long time. Don’t be alarmed if it tingles a little on your skin because the warming sensation means its working! The main ingredient in this mask is honey that comes straight from Farmacy’s bee farm. They also pledge that all of their products are cruelty-free, paraben-free, phthalate free and GMO-free.

3. Lush Cup O’Coffee

Let’s be honest, Lush wins at being the eco-friendliest beauty company. Needless to say, this mask only contains all-natural ingredients including agave and vanilla. The best part about this mask is the instant smell of coffee once you open up the container, and in fact, you are putting the coffee on your face! The Cup O’Coffee is more of an invigorating scrub that helps revitalize the natural glow of your skin and deep clean your pores. Lush also offers a recycling program with their containers where if you return five of their pots, you receive a free face mask in return!

4. Tarte Frxxxtion Stick

Tarte is known for their whole line of cruelty-free and natural makeup products. The Frxxxtion Stick can serve as a quick on-the-go cleanser and face mask. This cleansing gel stick helps with scrubbing away dead skin cells and cleans out pores without stripping your skin of its natural glow. I love how the scrubbing beads feel when you apply it on your skin because I know it’s working. I keep one of these sticks in my carry-on for when I’m flying if I ever need a quick refresher after a long flight. Tarte also offers many vegan products (including this one) to go along with their all-natural ingredients mission.

5. Origins Active Charcoal Mask

Origins vows to commit to the well-being of your skin and the planet with their earth-friendly line of skin care. This charcoal mask is their most popular product and helps clean out pores and clear up acne. Deep cleaning may sound like it will dry out your skin, but this mask is perfect for all skin types and does not damage the good natural oils your skin produces. Origins is cruelty-free and has adopted a Plant-A-Tree program to help restore ecosystems around the world.

Buying face masks from truly green companies can be challenging. Some companies that label their products as “earth-friendly” can actually falsify their labels to appeal to tree-huggers and animal lovers alike.be So  if you’re ever worried, check the website where you’re buying the product from. Companies will typically display the symbols signifying if their products are cruelty-free, vegan or paraben-free. So, this earth day, do the earth a favor by treating yourself to one of these fantastic face masks!