4 Ways to Sustainably Switch Up Your Self-Care Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

I love washing my hair and wiping my face clean after a long day; however, I’ve become aware of waste generated from plastic shampoo and conditioner bottles as well as makeup wipes. Because of this, I’ve begun a quest for changes to incorporate into my self-care routine. A sustainable lifestyle gains more momentum as companies find ways to make products environmentally friendly. After some research, here are the products I swapped in my self-care routine:

Bar shampoo and conditioner

I stumbled upon an article suggesting bar shampoo and conditioner as an alternative to regular shampoo and conditioner. My curiosity piqued, so I made my way to the closest Lush store to find out more. Since I use dandruff shampoo and conditioner, I asked the staff member at Lush if they sold bar shampoos and conditioner for dandruff-prone hair.

I bought the Soak and Float shampoo bar, which I’ve use every day since purchasing. The bar lathers well with just two strokes through my hair. It’s effective in lessening my dandruff, working just as well as the liquid dandruff shampoo I used to use.

I also bought the Big conditioner bar, which I also currently use. At first, I struggled melting the conditioner to coat my hair, but over time, I’ve learned how to successfully use the product.

Both of these products leave my hair smelling great. For travel, I carry the bars around in bar soap containers. By using bar products, I have an added advantage of not having to limit the amount of shampoo and conditioner I transport since there is no liquid limit to carrying a solid bar.

Facial cleanser without plastic microbeads

There’s talk about skincare products with plastic microbeads and their harmful effects on the environment. While microbeads do exfoliate skin, they are not biodegradable and ens up in lakes, rivers and oceans. I’ve made sure to purchase cleansers that do not contain plastic microbeads. I use the Oil-Free Acne Wash Daily Scrub from Neutrogena. The product label states it does not contain plastic microbeads. I moisturize afterward before going to bed.

Washcloths

After realizing the amount of waste that single-use makeup wipes generate, I searched for alternate methods. Recently, micellar water has been a buzzword for makeup removal. I currently dab Garnier SkinActive Micellar Cleansing Water onto a washcloth to remove my makeup. If I’m not wearing makeup and just want to clean dirt and dust off my face, I use Eau Roma Water from Lush. I spray the product into a washcloth and wipe my face and neck. The toner water leaves my skin feeling refreshed while also giving me moisture. I use Target’s Room Essentials pack of six washcloths, so I have enough to use one each day nearly all week. With this, my bathroom trash doesn’t fill up as fast, so I feel like I’m making a small difference. You can also use these washcloths is in the shower, of course. I owned a plastic loofah, but after finding out that loofahs are breeding grounds for bacteria and contribute to plastic waste, I made the switch to washcloths. I throw my washcloth in the laundry after each use to ensure it’s clean and ready for its next use.

Environmentally friendly sunscreen

People lecture me over and over about the importance of protecting my skin from the sun; however, several sunscreens are not environmentally friendly. Some contain harmful chemicals that end up in waterways. Certain sunscreens are reef friendly and do not contain ingredients damaging to the environment. I use the Alba Botanica Hawaiian Green Tea SPF 45 Sunscreen on my body when swimming and at the beach. I absolutely love how the sunscreen smells great and is easy to apply. I also use Alba Botanica Hydration Sensation Water Gel SPF 18 on my face every morning after cleansing. The water gel applies effortlessly and feels as if I’m applying water to my face. As an added bonus, it keeps my face moisturized all day.

It’s important to take care of ourselves as well as the environment. We should be conscious of our day-to-day routines and habits. By taking the time to increase our awareness of product ingredients, we can make a difference.

Niharika graduated from the University of Florida with a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and a minor in Mathematics. She wrote for Her Campus UFL during her time at UF. She also wrote for Her Campus Leeds when she spent her junior year abroad at the University of Leeds in Leeds, England. She tried drinking tea when in England but is still a coffee person at heart. As a Colorado native, Niharika loves hiking, skiing, and mountain biking. In her spare time, she likes to explore her creativity through photography and drawing.