Best Friends Piggyback 2
Best Friends Piggyback 2
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

17 Ways to Celebrate National Random Acts of Kindness Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

What would the world be without kindness?

We see it in the form of a smile from a stranger; we feel it in a hug from someone we missed; we hear it in a laugh echoed between friends.

It courses through our world, providing the fabric for relationships, whether fleeting or long-lasting, and it softens life’s setbacks.

It’s easy to get caught up in our own busy lives and to forget to project kindness to everyone we come across.

This list is here to give you some ideas to be extra-kind this Feb. 17, deemed national Random Acts of Kindness Day. 

Not only will you make others feel good, but you’ll feel good, too.

A study published in The Coaching Psychologist found that practicing random acts of kindness helps a person to cultivate hope and promote long-term physical and mental health.  

1) Buy a friend lunch

Show a friend you care with this kind gesture.

If you’re on campus and need a break from studying, consider getting Krishna lunch together.

The meal is healthy and easy on your wallet, and while you’re there you can stake out a spot on the lawn of Plaza of the Americas and soak in some fresh air while you eat. 

2) Donate your old clothes

This one doubles as spring cleaning, and your closet will thank you.

Consider dropping off some  clothes you no longer wear at any of the orange and blue collection boxes located at different locations on UF campus.

Through a partnership with Alachua Habitat for Humanity, funds from the donated clothing and shoes are used to build homes and communities.

You can also donate your professional clothing, such as blazers and pant suits, to the Gator Career Closet on the third floor of Peabody Hall.

This gives other students the opportunity to dress their best for interviews and other professional events. 

3) Leave a kind note somewhere

Leave a few words of encouragement on a note and project.

You can leave the note somewhere where a person in need of those words can find it, perhaps on a desk chair in a lecture hall.

After all, it’s easy to get caught up in the whirlwind of school, and we all could use a little reminder that everything will be ok from time to time. 

4) Put positive sticky notes on your shared mirrors

Speaking of notes, another idea to assist you in radiating kindness is to put some sticky notes with uplifting messages on a bathroom you share with your roommates or other girls in your dorm hall.

Build them up and let them know they’re beautiful! 

5) Put quarters by a vending machine 

Treat someone to a refreshing drink or pick-me-up snack by leaving some quarters on a vending machine at any of the over 400 Pepsi machines and 175 snack machines across campus. 

6) Offer your seat on an RTS bus 

You’re probably tired from being on campus all day and counting down the minutes until you can get home and crash, but this could really take some of the burden off of someone else’s commute! 

7) Give your RTS bus driver a thank-you note

While we’re on the topic of buses, it’s important not to forget the people behind Gainesville’s public transportation system.

They drive us around every day, making sure we get where we need to be.

Make them feel acknowledged by leaving them an appreciative note on your way to class. 

8) Let someone go ahead of you in line

Even if you’re desperately craving a chicken sandwich while waiting in line under the Standard Chick-fil-A, this seemingly small deed could really make the difference in someone’s day – especially if they look like they’re in a rush.  

9) Volunteer at an animal shelter 

Grab some friends and volunteer at the Humane Society of North Central Florida.

They have three locations across town, and who doesn’t want to interact with some cute animals in need?

10) Find another cause that inspires you

Animals aren’t your thing?

Check out this list of ongoing service opportunities listed through UF’s Student Activities & Involvement page and get out there!

Organized by category, you will find something that inspires you under arts and culture, environment or women and girl’s empowerment, to name a few. 

11) Pay for someone’s order behind you in the drive-thru

This can be as simple as gifting the person behind you in the Starbucks line during your morning routine.

Who knows, you could even start a chain. 

12) Make cookies for your roommates or neighbors

Make your own, or surprise them with flavorful selections like red velvet, cookies ‘n’ cream and birthday cake from Midnight Cookies. They’re open until 1 a.m. on Mondays! 

13) Do a chore in a shared space 

This one’s sure to earn you some brownie points with your roommates.

As much as you may dread taking out the trash or mopping, it will create a clean and friendly atmosphere in your apartment or dorm that will foster harmony between you. 

14) Call a friend you haven’t spoken to in a while 

Whether you lost touch when you moved away for college or just really miss them, a phone call will let them know you’re thinking of them and feels more sincerity than a simple text. 

15) Mail a letter

When’s the last time you sent a personal letter through snail mail?

Inject a little surprise into someone’s day when they open their mailbox and see a thoughtful letter from you! 

16) Cook dinner for your roommates 

As a student, it’s hard to find the time amongst everything to cook a well-rounded meal, and eating out can get expensive.

Take the time to show your roommates you care by making their days a little easier and encouraging a sit-down meal where you can connect.

Here are some easy, budget-friendly recipes to try.  

17) Introduce yourself to someone new and give them a compliment

You never know–you may have a lot in common with that classmate you always sit by, but never speak to. 

Whatever you do, however big or small, be sure to spread kindness not only this Feb. 17, but every day. The universe has a funny way of returning the positive energy you’ve given out, back to you. 

Aspiring writer, content creator, and world traveler