13 Ways to Celebrate World Kindness Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

The world could use a little kindness. Every day, something horrible happens, but there are also really amazing things happening. Today, November 13, is World Kindness Day, a day to focus on extending acts of thoughtfulness towards others without expectation of anything in return. I know, everyday should be World Kindness Day, but with final exams looming and the excitement about the upcoming holidays, the last thing on your mind is flashing a smile at a stranger. While you should strive to be kind every day, set aside a little time today in particular to show someone you care with the following 13 tips.

1. Make an effort to only post positive updates on all your social media accounts

Empowering quotes, bright flowers, happy faces of you and your friends are great ideas to provoke others to practice random acts of kindness.

2. Place uplifting notes in library books or on restroom mirrors

Take a break from studying and jot down some inspirational sayings like, “You’re doing great, keep going” or “You’re smart!” You’ll inspire other students to persevere during a stressful time.

3. Set an alarm to go off three times during the day and when it sounds, stop what you’re doing and call/text/email someone simply to tell them how awesome they are

It will be a random little surprise that’s sure to leave a smile.

4. Buy the person behind you in line a coffee

And chances are, the momentum will continue throughout the day.

5. Do your roommate’s dishes for them

Then maybe next time, they’ll do yours! Plus there will be less of a mess in the kitchen.

6. While on the bus, give up your seat for someone else

We all know the RTS bus system can be a little hectic, so why not make it a little less stressful for someone?

7. Bring snacks to your friends on campus

Free food is the best. So during a long lecture, bring extra granola bars for your friends, and the time will go by faster.

8. Volunteer at a local animal shelter

Animals deserve a little kindness, too.

9. Donate a copy of your favorite book to a library.

And leave a little note on the title page to let someone know what it meant to you.

10. Leave a generous tip

Waiters and waitresses deserve it.

11. Pick up litter on campus

Help out the environment and pick up that cup that didn’t quite make it into the trash.

12. Give someone a compliment

Everyone loves a compliment, even when they aren’t quite sure how to respond.

13. Be kind to yourself

Treat yo self. Remember that in order to take care of others, you must first take care of yourself.

Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.