This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Thanksgiving is a bit of an emotional roller coaster. The pure pleasure when we think about all the delectable dishes, family get-togethers and football is just the beginning. Not to mention the time off from college that brings a whole new level of thankful. The stuffed stomachs, food comas and inevitable regrets after feasting make up another realm of the roller coaster. Here are the 12 stages of Thanksgiving that are sure to hit you this Thursday.

1. At first, you’re just so excited to have a real home-cooked meal because college eating consists of cold pizza and microwavable mac ‘n’ cheese.

2. You’re feeling pretty confident that you are going to eat your weight in turkey, potatoes and pie.

3. So you prepare accordingly…

4. … and get into the mindset that this meal is actually a mission. And you’re going to come out on the other side victorious.

5. Once everything’s ready, there is an overload of options available to devour.

6. So, naturally, you do just that: devour.

7. You can’t think of a time in your life when you or your stomach has ever been this happy.

8. But it doesn’t take long for this euphoric feeling to fade.

9. “I have no one to blame but myself,” you think.

10. You come to the realization that Black Friday was really created as a day to mourn the lack of self-control you have.

11. You begin to pay penance for the sins of your mouth.

12. The only answer to deal with all this regret is:

Happy Thanksgiving, collegiettes, and good luck surviving this year’s day of eating!

Photo credit: squarespace.com