How Sex Can Improve Your Studies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UEA chapter.

For years now students have been trying to prove that guilty pleasures including shopping, clubbing and watching Made in Chelsea are helpful in someway to our studies in order to justify procrastination. Whilst we are still yet to find research that proves the benefits of reality TV and Topshop, we are thrilled to find that sex is scientifically proven to aid revision. It is quite literally the best news that we have heard since we found out that chocolate is a brain food.

Although sexual activity will not help you to memorise your French presentation or to ace your economics exam, it has been proven to ease stress and to improve sleep, thereby enhancing concentration and boosting your confidence. Intimacy is known to soothe stress and anxiety, two things that students know all too well. Close physical contact with an intimate partner such as just holding hands, cuddling and kissing can release the body’s natural ‘feel-good hormone’ improving your mood and relaxation instantly.

Of all intimate actions, sex is proven to benefit stressed exam students in many ways.  Essentially sex is an enjoyable form of exercise, boosting self-esteem and happiness but a key advantage of the deed is stress relief. Emotions are heightened around exam time and the entire student body seems to be plagued with anxiety and frustration, sex is a great way of releasing these negative feelings by working them out of your system through the intensive exercise. Research has proven that sex reduces the stress-levels of individuals during tense times such as examinations, deadlines and presentations and thereby improves concentration, allowing the individual to focus on work without agitation or anxiety acting as a distraction.

Sex is also beneficial during times of stress in aiding sleep. During exam time a good night’s sleep is essential but even great sleepers will find that the fear and dread of impending deadlines can keep us up for hours tossing and turning. During sex, orgasms are proven to release prolactin: a hormone that induces the feelings of sleepiness and relaxation that help you to get some shut-eye and wake up alert and ready to work.

HC UEA does acknowledge that sex is not to everyone’s liking and therefore it is important to stress that it is not the only form of exercise that can give you these exam-time benefits, It is just in many people’s eyes the most fun. If sex is not something that you are interested in, simply going for a run or doing a few sit-ups is a good alternative: anything that releases endorphins, makes you sweat and gets your blood pumping will help you to relieve stress, improve sleep and to better your concentration.

We hope that you are as thrilled about this emergence of news as we are!

Now go on Collegiettes…

When at UEA, do as the UEA bunny rabbits do.

Jen is a French and International Development student in her final year at University of East Anglia and an aspiring magazine editor. She is an active member of campus social life and when she is not writing future online content or updating her fashion and lifestyle blog, you will find her in Topshop or any cafe that serves tea and cake, reading tonnes of the latest fashion magazines.