self-love
self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
Wellness > Mental Health

Why Quinni from Netflix’s Heartbreak High is the Neurodivergent rep we’ve been waiting for

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

There’s a pretty long list of things that Netflix’s new show Heartbreak High has done right. From a stellar, and diverse cast that feels like a breath of fresh air, to addressing extremely relevant topics: all this paired with a killer wardrobe and a compelling storyline. You’ll have a tough time picking just one thing to love about this show.

But if there’s one thing that I have to personally commend, it’s the character Quinni: a bubbly and endearing character who is also on the Autistic spectrum. Played by 25-year-old actress, Chloe Hayden – who was diagnosed with Autism and ADHD herself at 13 years old.

The actress, Chloe Hayden (she/her) being Autistic plays an integral role in the portrayal of her character. A nod to true representation: neurodivergent characters should be played by neurodivergent individuals. The actress ensured that her character was to be shown in a way that was most authentic and raw.

Now you might be wondering why this portrayal of an Autistic character is so ground-breaking. You might be familiar with many other Autistic characters in different films and television, however there is a distinct lean towards stereotypes and tokenism in the majority of earlier portrayals of Autistic people. On top of the stereotypes, the majority of the Autistic representation that we see on tv and other forms of media are male-dominated.

Furthermore, Neurodivergence in women is severely underrepresented and undermined for the simple fact that the healthcare sector is inherently geared toward people assigned male at birth. It is much more difficult for Neurodivergent women to be diagnosed with Autism or ADHD because Autism and ADHD can look very different in women than it does in men. Majority of the current symptoms and examples of Autism is based on the male brain and there is predominantly less data and resources on the female brain.

So no, neurodivergence is not “more common” in men than women as most people tend to believe. It is simply less documented and less researched. Majority of women that have been diagnosed with Autism or ADHD report being diagnosed much later than their male peers (Myself included! I was 19!) Medical misogyny isn’t something new and it can have extremely detrimental effects for women all around the world.

In general, Neurodivergent women are forced to learn how to mask much earlier than men, thanks to the societal expectations that are thrust upon women much earlier than men. Masking is a frequent practice of neurodivergent individuals where they are able to camouflage as neurotypical by hiding their neurodivergent behaviours. This is in order to fit into society better. This concept of masking is something someone can do even without realising that they are. For neurodivergent women, this is especially prevalent and is often done at the expense of their own mental wellbeing.

The character – Quinni also approaches this concept when (Spoiler Alert) another character Sasha is confused and even angered by her behaviour. Quinni has to explain that she is Autistic to which Sasha cannot understand or fathom. Quinni explains that she is quite good at masking.

This scene hit home with many neurodivergent women, and we are often faced with the question of “but you don’t look or act autistic?” The idea of looking or acting autistic is extremely offensive as is, but it also highlights just how underrepresented women with Autism are. There is little to no understanding of how things like Autism and ADHD manifest in women.

Characters like Quinni are so unbelievably important in undoing harmful stereotypes and allowing neurodivergent women the space to be and feel seen. This character is a step forward and hopefully we’ll be seeing more representation like this in the media!

Nuhaa Isaacs is a Cape Town born and raised student at the University of Cape Town. She is currently studying toward a BA triple majoring in English Literary Studies, Media and Writing as well as Gender Studies. She has been a staff writer for Her Campus UCT since 2021, and a current member of the Social Media Sub-committee at Her Campus UCT. Sappy romantic fantasy novels and incredibly specific Spotify playlists are everything to her (as well as her three cats: Zuri, Shelley and Peanut). You can find her on Instagram (@nuhaa_i) or Tiktok (@nuhaaorwhatever) probably posting silly little outfit videos. Get in touch via email for any formal inquiries: nuhaa.isaacs@gmail.com.