This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

Small ways to start afresh for the Spring season.

The sun is rising earlier, the flowers are in bloom and allergies are rearing their ugly head. It must be an early Spring!  It is officially that time of the year when everybody is looking at clearing out old belongings and looking at making a fresh start. With the second semester already well in motion, here are some small ways to reset your mindset and add some needed changes in your life. 

Reorganise your desk/ workspace. We spend most of our online learning at our desks, it’s easy for it to become cluttered and messy. Put only the necessities on your desk and pack any extras away. This way, your desk will seem bigger and more inviting. 

Review your planning system.  Whether it be a physical planner, a digital calendar or an app on your phone, everybody needs a planning system that works for them. Take a look at your own system and review if it works for you and think of any ways you could improve it. 

Delete any old messages and leave old group chats that no longer serve you. My favourite thing to do at the end of every month is go through my phone and delete or archive any chats that I no longer need. If I no longer need the chat, I’ll delete it. If I want to keep the chat just in case, I’ll archive it. It’s a small thing yet it feels big. 

Change your wallpapers. We stare at our phones and computers every day, it’s easy to get tired of everything looking the same. Changing your wallpapers is just a quick way to incorporate a sense of change. 

Create a new playlist. If music is a big part of your day, you probably will get tired of listening to the same songs on repeat. Listen to playlists of songs you usually wouldn’t listen to, you might find a new genre of music you like or an artist you never knew existed. 

Clean out your computer. Our laptops/tablets are our most important work-from-home tools. Since we are always using them, it’s easy to forget how cluttered they get. Go through all of semester 1’s folders and delete any notes/ files that you no longer need. Less files on your computer will help to find your new semester’s notes easier. 

Move some furniture around. If you can, try moving some furniture around and reorganising the space. It is amazing how something so simple can invoke a feeling of drastic change. You could also try adding new pictures/ decorations to your walls if your budget allows.  

Changing your routine. The most important change you can make is to your daily routine. Wake up and go for a run or try journaling every morning after breakfast.  Do something you usually wouldn’t do in the mornings to kick-start the day. 

These tips should help with changing things up in your lives and giving a much needed Spring refresh! Have a productive and happy semester!

A 23 year old travel blogger and aspiring writer. I spend my days buried in a journal, scrolling through curated Instagram feeds or experimenting with my camera. I'm a media student at the University of Cape Town aiming towards a career in journalism. My passions include learning languages and expanding my knowledge of social issues. My biggest dream: to travel the world and help others along the way.