Setting Realistic Intentions for the New Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

It’s a new year and a new decade! This year I urge you to ditch the usual New Years resolutions that are short lived and unattainable, like fad diets and manic study schedules, and instead set kinder intentions and goals that can be broken down into smaller steps for success. Who knows, these intentions could become lifelong!

Here are six kinds of intentions you can set for yourself to transform your outlook on life and new beginnings:

Three long term goals

A long term goal is something you wish to accomplish in the distant future, that is months or even years from today. They require time and planning as it takes many steps to reach them successfully. Long term goals are essential for manifesting an independent and happy lifestyle, be it through moving out, saving money for traveling, or buying a car. It is important to establish a time frame for when you want to complete the goal so that you are continuously working towards it.

For example, if you want to graduate with your undergraduate degree then your time frame could be three years of studies. Another example is giving yourself one year to gain more work experience to earn a promotion.

Five short term goals

Short term goals can help make real change in your life in a short amount of time. It is a goal you want to accomplish in the near future– Today, tomorrow, or this week! These kinds of goals help you think about the dreams and desires you want to make possible in the now. Short term goals may seem small, but completing them successfully can lead to major achievements in your career, studies, and personal life!

For example, arriving on time for class, typing your notes from the PowerPoint the night before, and arranging a regular lift club can make big differences in your experience of varsity and study life!

Improving your physical health

It would be hypocritical of me to tell other people to exercise more considering I’m not the most active person… But physical health does not just refer to gymming like The Rock. It can also refer to eating intuitively and healthily, going for regular appointments with your gynaecologist or GP, or taking multivitamins every morning. When’s the last time you checked your vitamin D levels? Are you sure your fatigue isn’t a sign of low iron? These are the big and small acts of love that our bodies need to keep on functioning!

Looking after your mental health

You are in your head 24/7. Ask yourself if you are making it the most comfortable and kind place to be. Since your mind is your forever home, don’t allow other people to walk through it with muddy shoes. Your mental health needs to be a priority to you if it has not been in past years. Even if you don’t suffer from a mental illness, taking care of your mind and soul is just as important to a balanced lifestyle as taking care of your body is. Give yourself rest days and prioritise listening to the calls of your mind over the pressures of the outside world.

Whenever you feel depressed, anxious, or overwhelmed, have a list of mantras or calming words you can turn to for support. You could try repeating, “I am strong, I am safe, I am in control” while taking deep breaths to soothe yourself in times of distress.

Scheduling in time for yourself

Being alone does not always mean being lonely. It can also mean becoming aware of your own position and presence in time and space. Once you tune into your surroundings and environment, the more you’ll slow down and enjoy time passing. Have you ever had dinner with yourself? Or sat in a coffee shop alone to read a book? Try it sometime! That bliss of having nowhere to go and just be with yourself and your thoughts… It’s magical! Listen to the sounds filling the air, the weight of your feet on the floor, and texture of your clothing against your skin.

Giving back to the community

“As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands. One for helping yourself, the other for helping others.” – Audrey Hepburn

Giving back to the less fortunate is one of the most important things that we need to do more of, together and individually. It is both selfless and charitable, but most importantly it goes an incredibly long way for those who do not have the means to give to themselves entirely. If you want to give back through the UCT community, sign up for societies like Habitat for Humanity UCT, Amnesty UCT, or Lean In UCT.

2020 can give you incredible experiences and open doors to new possibilities, but it won’t come without hard work and investing in yourself. Setting the right goals to pursue in your daily life will all add up to the bigger goals being achieved in the end. It’s all about your attitude and how realistic your aspirations are. Let’s get going!

Sarah-Kate is a student at the University of Cape Town currently completing her Honours degree in Psychology. She is also the Co-Senior Editor of Her Campus UCT 2020 and actress in short film Dear Romilly. Her interests include baking, writing, yoga, empowering women, and educating the world on mental illnesses through her blog (sarahkatesays.blogspot.com).