This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

UCT students have a love-hate relationship with Jammies. Jammies are often unreliable – they’re either late, or they don’t arrive at all. But Jammies can also be a godsend – we’re all glad when we see the friendly blue bus around the corner, especially after waiting particularly long on a bitterly cold day. For students with budgets, Jammies are particularly useful because they’re free. Jammies not only take us to campus and to res, but some Jammie stops are a short walk away from cool places to go in Cape Town. I believe every UCT student should know which worthwhile places are easily reachable with a Jammie. Here’s a link which will take you to the Jammie route maps and timetables: http://www.students.uct.ac.za/students/services/transport-parking/jammie-shuttle/routes-timetables. It’s important to note that the timetables change regularly. Here’s a list I’ve compiled of places to go with a Jammie:

1. The Claremont stop:

• Cavendish

Cavendish mall is a short walk away from the Claremont stop. Cavendish can satisfy all your needs – it has quite a few restaurants to choose from, clothing stores, tech stores, optometrists, banks, etc.

• Tin Roof, Boogie, Stones

There’s nothing better than spending hours in an enclosed space with sweaty bodies pressed up against you and pumping music which makes conversation impossible!

• Arderne Gardens

Ardene Gardens is only 1.5 kilometres from Cavendish Square via Main Road. According to the website – http://www.ardernegardens.org.za – the Ardene gardens have one of the largest collections of exotic trees in South Africa. Entrance is free and the gardens are open from 08:00 to 18:00 daily.

2.  The Dean street stop:

• The Copper Club Eatery

Enjoy half-price pizza on Monday nights and half-price burgers on Tuesday nights at The Copper Club Eatery. Vegetarian pizzas and burgers are available. The Copper Club Eatery is always packed, especially on half-price nights, so make sure to make a reservation beforehand.

• The Creamery Café

You’ve lived a half-life if you haven’t been to The Creamery yet. The Creamery boasts a variety of ice cream flavours, such as chocolate, peanut butter, sea salt caramel, rosetta roastery coffee and sweet cream. Other exciting flavours include rooibos chai, ginger choc chip and apple crumble (amongst others).

3.The Tugwell stop:

• The Baxter Theatre

The Baxter Theatre hosts live theatre performances, as well as music and dance performances. It’s located only a few meters away from the Tugwell stop. This link will guide you to a web page with dates and information about future performances: http://www.whatson.co.za/venue.php?venue=85. Students also qualify for a discount!

• Maharajah

Maharajah specializes in vegetarian/vegan Indian cuisine. It’s situated near Main Road, close to Marcel’s and Woolworths Food. Maharajah’s interior is humble and cosy, unlike the many fancy smancy restaurants in Cape Town. Also, the prices are pretty decent.

4. The Hiddingh stop:

• Long street

Long Street bustles with clothing stores, restaurants, book stores, and other hang out spots. Make sure to pay a visit to Long Street on First Thursdays, when art galleries and museums are open until 21:00 and entrance is free. You don’t have to know anything about art, history and culture to appreciate it.

• Kloof street

The restaurants in Kloof Street cater to a variety of palettes – there are, amongst others, Asian, Mediterranean and Italian restaurants. Kloof Street is also a host to quirky shops and historical buildings.

• The Company’s Garden

The Company’s Garden is perfect for relaxing strolls, picnics or just appreciating nature. You can also feed the squirrels and birds. There is also a restaurant with an outdoor seating area. The South African National Gallery is located within the garden. It costs R30 for adults to enter and R15 for SA students. The museum is open daily from 09:00 to 17:00.

• The Labia Theatre

The Labia Theatre is located in Orange Street in Gardens. It was opened in May 1949 by Princess Labia, where live performances were held. Today, The Labia shows old films, foreign films, historical cinema and other alternative art. The Labia Theatre has a coffee and an alcoholic drinks bar. You may sip on a drink while watching a movie. Movie tickets are R40 for students. The Labia’s ambient is rich with nostalgia for classical times.

5. The Obz Square stop:

• Lower Main

Lower Main is a combination of the vibrancy of New Orleans and Cape Town’s flair (I know this because I’ve watched The Originals). Lower Main is decorated with a collection of vintage clothing stores, as well as restaurants, a tattoo parlor, hang out spots like Stones and a secondhand book shop. The book shop is combined with a restaurant and they serve the most deliciously fresh fruit juice. Obviouzly Armchair is a place you go to showcase your talent. Jazz performances and comedy nights are often hosted at the armchair. Restaurants include, amongst others, Jerry’s Burger Bar, Trenchtown, Timbuktu, Cocoa Cha Chi, Mango Ginger, Obz Café and Ferdinando’s Pizza.  A Touch of Madness is not located too far away from the bustle. You can enjoy poetry performances, live music performances and food and drinks there.

6. The Rochester stop:

• Devil’s Peak Taproom

The taproom is located in Salt River, only a few minutes’ walk away from the Rochester stop. Devil’s Peak Taproom is a restaurant and pub and they are known for their good beer. On Monday nights all burgers are half price. On Friday’s there are live music performances from 19:00 to 21:00. Happy hour is Monday to Friday from 16:00 to 18:00.

Third-year Media and Writing and English Literature student. Aspiring writer and philanthropist.