This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

I guess the correct way to start this would be by introducing myself. So, hi! My name is Claudia Allmann, and I am a third year Social Anthropology and English Literature student at UCT and when my being allows for it, I like to illustrate.

I never think about my “creative process” or anything like that, because I do not think that I have one. It’s very rarely the case that I can illustrate when I or someone else forces me to, because the pressure of producing anything decent when I haven’t had the chance to process something that inspires me, causes me to shut down creatively.

However, I can speak about the things that generally inspire me to illustrate.

Since I started to develop my illustrating style, the things that propel me to illustrate have evolved quite drastically into the creative space that I currently find myself in. Over the past couple of years, as I have become more and more aware of the many layers of pain caused by fragile and toxic masculinity, my illustrations have tended to encompass my experiences- as a white cisgendered womxn- of these layers. Because of this I have come to focus on ideas around the immense strength that lies within womxn joining together, the feeling of losing ownership or control over your body because of a man and then countering that, by looking at ways to fill myself and others with self-love and body/sex positivity.

Other times I also just like to draw what I see in front of me.

I always hope to produce relatable content for womxn- either to give someone a little strength or reassure them that they are not alone. But I guess, ultimately, I draw for myself as a way of figuring out how to navigate through these sometimes painful, sometimes exciting, spaces.

My name is Claudia Allmann. I am a third year Social Anthropology and English Literature student at the University of Cape Town.
Co-founder and former correspondent for Her Campus at The University of Cape Town. Two-time graduate of the University of Cape Town holding a Bachelor of Social Sciences and Bachelor of Arts Honours specialising in Media Theory and Practice. Currently working towards my MA in Media Theory and Practice.  My name also kind of sounds like the chorus to September by Earth, Wind and Fire and once you hear it, it can't be unheard.