How to Transform into a Morning Person

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

As someone who is in a committed relationship with her blanket and snooze button, I know how difficult it is to climb out a warm, soft, cosy bed (drooling as I’m typing this) just to have to do life? Like, no, just five more minutes of acting like a dead duck. But I’ve proven to myself time and time again that those five minutes cost me my sanity. Running around, looking for socks and a charger, is not the best way to start your day, as it generally sets the tone for the rest of the day. Here are five hacks that will transform your topsy-turvy mornings into more relaxed, productive ones:

1. Create a morning routine

You know those mornings where you had oversleep (because snooze is bae) and nothing goes right? The ones where you can’t seem to find your keys, you spill coffee all over your car seat and you walk into that tut late, causing everyone to turn and stare? Well, no more. Create a productive morning routine to give you a little boost for the day. Or even better, set up a little self-care routine to get your mornings going. Whether it be a quick meditation, some yoga or just a quick booty jiggle to Beyonce as you get dressed to give yourself some motivation to get out of bed a little faster.

2. Leave as little as possible for the next morning

This generally means preparing yourself for the next day, the night before. Take your clothes and accessories out, prep your food and pack your bag. This means more time in the morning to prepare yourself for the day ahead (and occasionally hit snooze). Also,  I love using little post-it notes to remind myself of what I need to do the next morning in case I wake up with foggy-brain syndrome (okay, every morning, but still).

3. Use products you love

As odd as it sounds, having an amazing product to look forward is what motivates me to get out of bed. Mine would be my Garnier three-in-one face mask/wash/scrub. It leaves my skin feeling all revitalised and invigorates my day. Try investing in a new lipstick, fancy face cream, toothpaste or after-shave. Whatever floats your early morning boat.

4. Go to bed and wake up around the same time

Look, I get it. You had an essay to write, a party to go to or just wanted to binge-watch Orange is the New Black because duhhh. But, having a sleep routine will mean you sleep better, wake up faster and have more pleasant days ahead because you’ve had your beauty rest (or rather, happy rest). Start off slowly: set an alarm to go to bed 15-30 minutes earlier and do the same for waking up, ensuring you are getting six to eight hours of sleep.

5. Have a yummy breakfast to look forward to

Okay, honestly, who doesn’t love food? Besides giving yourself a yummy, nutritious breakfast to look forward to, you are almost guaranteed more energy to start your day, improved focus and reduces cravings for junk food later on. You should have a breakfast that has a healthy balance of low fibre-rich carbohydrates, protein and fats to ensure you stay fuller for longer. Some ideas are omelettes with mushrooms, avocado toast, overnight oats (recipe here), smoothie bowls (recipe here) or my personal favourite: gluten-free pancakes (recipe here).

Rise and grind ya’ll.

Bachelor of Arts in English Literature, Gender Studies and Anthropology at UCT.