Former Gifted Kids and The Thirst For Knowledge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

As a former gifted kid and someone who loves learning, being outside of the academic world can be both a blessing and a curse. With the semester over, and a very long holiday looming ahead of me, now is the perfect time to start researching what I’m interested in.

During the term, academics rule my life. As much as I love learning, I also love a good mark – and when the course isn’t interesting or topics don’t hold my attention, studying becomes very difficult. Although I’ve found the subjects I want to learn more about, I still have interests outside of academia that I want to pursue, and now is the time for me to pursue them.

A quick note on the Former Gifted Kid: this person tends to have academically achieved at a young age with reasonable ease. Not much studying was needed, and good marks came easily. This resulted in a definite need for academic validation. As school got more challenging, and more work was put on their shoulders, good marks became harder to achieve, and the desire for academic validation became even stronger, which meant that bad marks impacted them in a really negative way. Moving into university was a whole different ball game, and the combined struggle for figuring out their academic interests and managing a new environment created very high highs and very low lows. Overall, the Former Gifted Kid is someone who loves knowledge but never had to work too hard for it as a child.

Back to my thirst for knowledge. Now that I’m no longer inhibited by academic boundaries, I still have a desire for knowledge but I never really know how to go about learning outside of the academic space. The holidays are always tricky for me because I hate being idle, or rather, I hate when my mind is idle. So what will I, and other FGKs do? Well, here are some options that I’ve put together.

• Reading: The most obvious choice here, reading is a great time killer and can keep your mind whirring for ages. I love to read, and reading outside in the summer always makes me feel good. As a heads up, Takealot and Bargain Books offer some really nice discounts, so if the wallet is feeling a lil light, try those out. Otherwise, borrowing books from friends also works a treat!
  • Playing an instrument: Picking up a musical instrument always provides a challenge, so this could be a good summer holiday activity. I’m very aware that instruments can be expensive, so maybe borrow a guitar or violin from a friend if they’re willing.
  • Crafts: Crafting and the holiday season go hand-in-hand, so this would be a perfect hobby to pick up. Making and receiving homemade Christmas cards is always a treat, and fun for both parties! Similarly, if you enjoy hosting dinner/lunch parties, decorating the table is super fun, and even making name tags for the table can be fun. Many options here!
  • YouTube: A little bit unconventional for summer, but who am I kidding: I’m not gonna be outside in the sun every day. I love my laptop, and I love my YouTube mornings, even if it kills my brain. YouTube video essays get my mind working and often inspire me to watch certain films and read certain books on the topics discussed, so screen time opens more doors for me anyway.
  • Cooking: One of my favourite ways to learn! Cooking is truly one of the things that practice makes perfect, and the reward for a good meal is unbelievably heart-warming. I’ve already challenged myself to host some dinner parties and cook a few recipes at the same time, so maybe you can give that a go and really get those knife skills perfect.

So, here are some of my easy-ish suggestions to satisfy that thirst for knowledge during the holidays. Good luck and happy learning!

Hi! I'm a film student and an avid reader. I adore cooking, nature, and trying to be the best version of myself :)