This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

I suffer from anxiety, so for me packing my bag is like collecting supplies to go to war. I like to know I have everything I need so that situations don’t catch me off guard. I have been known to go slightly left of the field when it comes to my bag contents and just a disclaimer: I’m not a light packer.

First of all my wallet, I have just a small zipper pouch that I keep my cards and cash in. I try to always have my rewards cards on hand because your girl is broke and collecting points is like collecting gems in the video game that is student life. In my wallet, I also keep two small crystals, which I know, sounds very Kalk Bay but I just like to hold them when I’m dissociating to remind myself that I’m here and things are okay. If that doesn’t work I keep my anti-anxieties in a small bank bag in there too. Lastly, a safety pin, being a person with a large bust means that buttons are not my friends, so I’ve been saved by that little guy a few times.

Secondly, if I know I’m going to be out for the whole day I like to pack a makeup bag. Obviously, this isn’t essential for everyone but in my case perking myself up with a little bit of makeup helps me get through my day. I’m a ginger, so I have pretty much white eyebrows, so most importantly for me, I keep a little of Glossier boy brow in my bag to make me look like I actually have facial expressions. I also pack concealer, a lip product and lip moisturiser and mascara (occasionally, I’m lazy.)  FYI this isn’t sponsored by Glossier, I’m just a huge fan. Nice smelling stuff is really great if you need to get yourself out of a daze. I have some Glossier You solid perfume and a migraine rollerball that has lavender oil and peppermint oil in it and is really great for rubbing on your temples and sinuses. Next, gum, because nothing is worse than knowing your mouth doesn’t smell great, also super minty gum is great for waking you up mid-lecture. Finally, if you’re someone who bleeds monthly, some sort of period product is always good to have.

Thirdly, I’m trying really hard to reduce my use of disposable items, especially those of the plastic variety. So I’ve begun carrying a glass straw and a foldable shopping bag with me. The bag is honestly a life saver because let’s be honest walking home from the shops with a plastic bag on your arm HURTS.

Lastly, pack what makes you feel safe. Going into the world can be really hard, especially going to campus. It’s not always easy to face other people (headphones are really good for giving a please leave me alone vibe). You don’t need to feel ashamed because you need material things to help you get out there. We are all different and we all need different things to help us cope. If you don’t need any of this stuff that’s great but if you do the fact that you’re making an effort to make your life a little easier is admirable too.

English and Media and Writing Major at UCT. Baby Witch and scribble writer.