This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

“If you’re trying to be more productive, don’t analyse how you spend your time, pay attention to what consumes your attention.” – Adam Grant, New York Times article

We’ve always been told to work smarter, not harder. But what does this look like and how does it translate in to our everyday lives? During lockdown, I’ve had to focus on this sentiment and rethink the ways in which I saw productivity – suddenly the to-do lists seemed never ending, my energy levels were inconsistent and there were too many things demanding my time. All of this, paired with the stress of remote learning and other environmental stressors, required a shift in an understanding of effective productivity – from only managing time, to managing energy as well, in order to increase the quality of my work.

Time management is essential to our everyday lives, but it leaves little room for flexibility in accordance to dips and spikes in energy levels throughout the day. One may set aside specific revision/study periods with breaks in between, but find themselves unable to adhere to this timetable because of dips in energy levels, which cause higher distractibility and make it harder to finish a task to the best of one’s ability. It is thus more important to focus on energy levels and how to work around the dips and spikes, instead of fixed schedules for a more qualitative approach to productivity.

Here is a quick comparison between time management versus energy management:

Time:

• Constricting, set time to do set things
  • Finite
  • Focuses on quantity of work done
  • Distractions must be eliminated, all-or-nothing approach

Energy:

• Flexible, element of choice
  • Renewable
  • Focuses on quality of work done
  • Distractions are manageable

Focusing on things that we can control, such as energy levels when trying to stay productive, opens more room for flexible choices. On the other hand, focusing on something that you can’t control, such as time, adds more pressure to finish set tasks even though sometimes we face challenges that affect our completion of those tasks. It is important to identify energy changes so that you can manage your tasks in accordance to dips and spikes in energy levels. This can help you to maximise the quality of your work, instead of trying to ‘push through’ and get things done, which can increase the risk of burnout. 

Trying to stay mindful of energy changes requires an increased level of awareness, which may feel unfamiliar and strange in the beginning, however, this exercise will help you keep track of activities that drain you and those that energize you. This ‘data’ will further allow you to work in accordance with those changes. For example, if your energy levels are usually the most heightened in the morning after breakfast and coffee, set that time to study or exercise or do other things that require the most energy. When your energy dips, try to replenish it by focusing on an activity that isn’t as mentally or physically strenuous, such as reading – or any act of self-care like journaling. When your energy increases again, return to the study session. And so the pattern may go. Over time, your body will respond to your daily activities in a way that is more fuelling.

The key component to this method is trying to manage and balance both your energy and time in order to maximise the quality of your work, as opposed to trying to get as much done during the day despite feeling tired and mentally drained.

I am currently studying a BA degree, majoring in English and Media & writing,in my second year. My hobbies include writing poetry, reading and playing guitar. I am very passionate about literature and storytelling, and hope to one day be able to pursue a career in journalism. My interests include topics that cover mental health, the LGBTQ+ community and feminist issues.