This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

The global fight for the banning of cosmetic testing on animals, whilst having made monumental progress over the past few years, is far from over. Since the 2018 EU proposal for a global ban, many countries have taken the pledge to make significant legislature change. However, China continues to demand mandatory animal testing for a large proportion of their cosmetic products. 

When I first began my cruelty-free journey, seven years ago, I was overwhelmed by the sheer amount of information and new products that were made available to me. As such, I’ve compiled a list of three of my favourite cruelty-free brands designed to help anyone who may be interested in embarking on their own sustainable journey.

Woolworths Beauty

In the least stereotypical ‘Constantia-mom’ way possible, my love for Woolworths runs deep. Whether you’re looking for fragrances, makeup or skincare; Woolworths Beauty will always have you covered. Their products all carry the ‘cruelty-free’ label and are endorsed by international animal rights organisation Beauty Without Cruelty. 

PERSONAL RECOMMENDATION: WBeauty CC and BB Creams are super light, long-lasting, and easy to apply/remove.

Himalaya

In addition to being cruelty-free, Himalaya Herbals are dedicated to upholding sustainable practices, supporting local communities and female empowerment.  Their products are readily available throughout South Africa, and can be found in outlets such as Dischem, Clicks and Wellness Warehouse. Products range from skin, hair and oral-care to nutritional supplements, and are 100% natural.

PERSONAL RECOMMENDATION: Himalaya Active White Herbal Toothpaste is great-tasting, free from bleach and visibly whitens teeth in two weeks.

Environ

When talking about local brands making big waves internationally, Environ definitely stands out as a top-achiever. With over 100 international awards, Environ remains committed to local empowerment, and runs various community-based projects. Because of their dedication to cruelty-free practice, they do not export any of their products to countries that require mandatory animal testing. 

PERSONAL RECOMMENDATION: Environ RAD Antioxidant Sun Cream offers excellent, long-lasting, sun-protection and is easy on the skin.

My advice to anyone interested in making the cruelty-free swap is to go easy on yourself. Making sustainable choices doesn’t have to be stressful, so just keep on trying until you get it right and find what works for you!

I'm currently in third year at UCT, pursuing a BSocSci. I am majoring in political science and psychology. As of late 2020, I began working as the co social media director for Her Campus at UCT. My vision for our community is one that promotes environmental sustainability, is politically active and is centered around providing a platform for South African women to create and inspire.