This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

1) Comfortable Shoes

We’ve all seen the cliche movie scene with the It girl walking in six inch heels, makeup on point, weave blowing in the wind, you know, that scene? If you plan on making it from one lecture to the other pain-free, ditch the heels. Jammie stairs are no joke. Invest in some cute, comfy sneakers, pumps or boots. Your toes will thank you.

2) Water Bottle

I won’t subject you to a tiresome biology lesson, but staying hydrated is crucial. Days at campus tend to be long, so keeping a water bottle ensures you don’t get dehydrated. Dehydration can lead to headaches, dry skin, dizziness and brain shrinkage, circumstances that aren’t ideal when you’re trying to make it in university.

3) An Open Mind

Don’t kick it till you try it. That is, unless it makes you feel unsafe or uncomfortable. Essentially, don’t be afraid to experience new things, whether it be a new cuisine, class or simply a new group of people. This is a place to grow, embrace it by embracing the unknown.

4) Notebooks

As much as I adore clip-clopping on my keyboard, I cannot deny the effectiveness of handwritten notes. It’s a known fact that handwritten notes are easier to remember and you are far less likely to be distracted by Facebook.

5) Study Plan and Techniques

If your high school study techniques are working for you, then keep doing you. But often, it is a matter of trial and error. University courses are rigorous and you don’t realise how much you’ve done in the short time you’ve been there. Therefore, it becomes important to make lists, read over your past notes, revise and note everything you need to discuss with your lecturer/tutor on a regular basis.

6) Mini First-Aid Kit

University tends to mean a whole new dimension for some of us. New life, new friends, new way of living. However, this means sacrificing some of the comforts of your previous life, such as 24/7 food and a parent to fuss over your head while you’re ill. But no matter. You are a perfectly capable, independent adult (I’m upset about it too). Here are some things you might need:

• Anti-septic liquid and cotton balls

• Anti-septic cream

• Muscle rub

• Mild painkillers

• Anti-Nausea/Anti-diarrhea pills

• Plasters

For a more detailed list, visit: https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/990.aspx?categoryid=72

7) Support

Whether it be friends, family or a trusted counselor, never undermine the importance of your mental health. According to Mayo Clinic, a good support structure could:

• Increase your sense of belonging and purpose

• Boost your happiness and reduce your stress

• Improve your self-confidence and self-worth

• Help you cope with trauma

• Assist in altering bad habits

Good luck!

Bachelor of Arts in English Literature, Gender Studies and Anthropology at UCT.